Force Feeding A Hatchling Question

30secondstobob

Hi guys. Been a while since I've been here - everything has been fine up until now. One of my babies from my latest clutch just would not eat. I'd recently had one go 11 days then start on it's own, but this one went over two weeks and I thought it would die unless I intervened. His "twin" brother was triple his size and this one just looked so lifeless and weak.
I started force feeding him gerber roast chicken baby food mixed with a drop of pedialyte and an appetite stimulant made for reptiles. He's already looking much better. The first time I gave him just the liquid appetite stimulant, I thought I killed him. His body went limp and lifeless and I blew air into his nostrils for about 15 minutes until he began to move around again. He's a fighter and I can't give up now. I'm giving him about 2 ml of the mixture in 3 consecutive "shots" once a day. I don't know what the correct amount should be, but it's working and he's gaining weight and strength.
My questions are: Will this baby ever eat on it's own? Does this sound like I'm giving him enough? Should I be giving something other than this baby food mixture? Thanks. Bob

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
I had a hatchling who didnt want to eat on his own, and I was given the advice to squish a mealworm and rub the guts on its face. Then it would stimulate the gecko to lick and bite the worm. You could try that?
I would rather use the golden gate slurry over the baby food.

Russellm0704

I had a hatchling who didnt want to eat on his own, and I was given the advice to squish a mealworm and rub the guts on its face. Then it would stimulate the gecko to lick and bite the worm. You could try that?
I would rather use the golden gate slurry over the baby food.

+1

I've had a 90 percent success rate with the mealworm guts. Then there a select few who just do not eat very well.

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
Yeah the baby I hand feed doesnt hunt on its own at all. I think some just lack that instinct.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Most babies will bite at anything that gets near the mouth. I would also suggest trying mealworm guts and then, as it gets stronger, try holding it in one hand and poking the tail end of a mealworm at its mouth. There's a good chance it will bite the mealworm and then hopefully eat it and eventually get the idea.

Aliza

30secondstobob

Maybe if I'd have tried sooner, the mealworm gut thing may have worked. I don't think this baby had much interest in living, let alone eating anything. Having the one baby (two months ago) take so long to eat, then finally eat, lulled me into a false sense of security that this one would also eventually eat. I guess I'll continue to force feed the baby food mixture, then mix in some mealworm or waxworm guts. Thanks for the replies. Bob

steve_gecko23

i recently just tried the smashing of the meal worm trick, because my juv isnt eating from what i think.maybe shes eating at night but i doubt it. well i tried rubbing the guts on her face she licked the guts but didnt want to eat the worm

30secondstobob

The mealworm gut thing didn't work. The "problem child" baby spit the mealworm out six times so I gave up. I added a pulverized cricket and some calcium powder to chicken baby food/pedialyte mixture I've been feeding him and he's still otherwise doing well. Had his second shed today. Bob

Visit our friends