Frustrated!

maverickgrl79

So I got in 2 more rescue Leos over the weekend. 2 adult males, look fat and happy very friendly which is a plus, but I am so frustrated with people. "Please take these Leos, my kid doesn't want them anymore and I do not want to take care of them." grrrrrrrr how about we teach our kids some responsibility and commitment huh. on the plus side they will live with me and get all the care and love they need til we can find a forever home for them. i will get some pics up if anyone wants to see them. thanks for letting me vent!

Amanda1

3 Year Member
Ahh yes, the joys of rescue. Just when I think I couldn't be any more disappointed with humanity, BAM--someone does something so incredibly stupid that I can't find the words for it. At least the new guys are healthy. I've seen someone try to sell a starving leo with bits of shed stuck all over it on craigslist for $100. They don't want to do any work to care for the poor thing, but they still want to try to cash in. That particular person got a carefully worded email from me offering to take it for free, but I never heard back.

Last week someone dumped a bunch of hamsters on the front lawn of a local humane society. Not even in a cage or anything, just out on the grass. The employees found 10, then one of the females had 6 babies. Hamsters only live like 2 years, right? How can you possibly have them long enough to get bored with them? Seriously people.

Anyone else depressed yet?

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
It is sad when those things happen. I wish more people would just take advantage of safe surrender instead of ditching animals in the wild or other places.
I recently found two german shepherd puppies someone left at the local dog park! :(

Geckomaster743

That's so sad guys. I know some people who think it's just okay too let Rats, and Mice just be let gone in an alley or to do the same thing with a Dog or cat and they will learn to hunt on their own or be taken care of, But thats completely false. Captive animal's rarley have hunting instinct come in as they would being raised in the wild because they are used to being fed by people. A lot of people who see the animal's while passing by think that some one else will pick them up and save them from the streets but no one ever does. It's the Killer shelter, Starvation, or the rare chance of being found and picked up and brought to a nice home..

Amanda1

3 Year Member
Before anyone starts insulting shelters, I'd like to give my 2 cents. I volunteer with 2 rescues (one exotic, one dog & cat) that cooperate with local humane societies and animal controls, so I've met some of the employees of the dreaded "kill shelters". Everyone I've met are good people who love animals. They would love nothing more than to find homes for them all. But they just can't. The problem is the people who don't spay and neuter their pets, or over-breed the more exotic ones (rabbits, hamsters, chinchillas, etc). Their are way more animals than there are homes for them. Sorry breeders, not trying to insult you, but I see the bad side of this situation too often.

Our animal control sends all the exotic pets it gets to local rescues like the one I work with. And there are many dog and cat rescues that pull their adoptable animals from animal control. AC isn't equipped to deal with, for example, a cat nursing a litter of kittens (I've fostered one of those), so they will reach out to other rescues (like the other one I work with) to see if they are able to help out. But rescues only have the resources to do so much, so unfortunately some still get euthanized. I guess my point is, if you don't like the the situation, get your dogs and cats fixed, and adopt, donate, volunteer, and foster. No matter what species you want to work with, you can find one at a rescue if you look hard enough. That's what I do.

Sorry guys. Venting happens.

Visit our friends