Frustrated!

spykerherps

-sssSpyker ExoticSsss-
I have been keeping fatties for a long time . last year was my first time hatching them out.(I know I have heard they are more problematic.) Out of six eggs one turned out good and hatched though she has a slight under-bight. Now today my first fatty of the year just popped out today, an amel. but his tail is stumpy. Do you guys with more experience producing fatties find that more fatties come out with problems. The parents are healthy and show no malformations. Can you say what its attributed to, besides incubation. I incubate in a natures spirit (very little if any temp flux) and I do a 1.1 ratio of water to media maybe a little dryer then that. any incites would be helpful.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I had a couple a few years ago with slighty stumpy tails. In general I find that fewer eggs that candle fertile end up hatching. From what I understand, fatties need to be incubated a a minimum of 82.6, which is a few degrees warmer than the leopard gecko minimum.

Aliza

spykerherps

-sssSpyker ExoticSsss-
That could very well be. i didn't realize their incubation temp requirements were that low. I believed them to be closer to leos. so I incubated @ what I thought would be a safe temp of 85°F.

Has anyone else found this to be true?

Last edited:

spykerherps

-sssSpyker ExoticSsss-
It had been quite a wile seance I had looked it up or even felt the need to. I new it was stored in the old noggin so I didn't check but looks like all the sources I can find still say to incubated similar to leos between 77-90F. 85F should be fine.

geckobabies

African Fat Tails <3
I have not found fat tails to be more difficult to hatch out then leopard geckos. 85F is more then fine for incubating. Sorry to hear of the problems :(

OhioGecko

Mod Squad Member
Zach, I have not had any problems hatching out fatties. I incubate girls 82-83 and males 88-89.

I keep my fattail substrate a little dryer than the leos. I incubate in deli cups with two small holes on each side of the cup. I usually have to mist the lids of the aft incubation cups because they dry out faster. I also pop the lids once a week.

I hope this might help you.

cherishedtiger

I am totally new at this, but so far my experience has been quite positive, and my AFT's breed and hatch at a pretty regular rate. My incubator is at about 85 and I keep it pretty humid in there. I make sure the vermiculite stays damp, but the incubator keeps enough humidity I dont need to worry about it too much (I cant see inside because the window is covered in moisture). I keep my overall humidity at about 90%. I cant say I have had 100% success, as I have lost some eggs here and there, but I have 6 hatchlings all doing great! Its just a roll of the dice sometimes.

Visit our friends