Future Gecko Owner

Gc99

Hello everyone, im new to this forum and i will be adding a leopard gecko to my animal collection next week. Its not for me, my stepmom is buying it for her 10 year old son but im the one who is gonna look after the little guy or girl (I'm more than happy to do it, I was going to buy one but my dad said I already have too many animals, 2 ball pythons, a tarantula and a vinegaroon) and im very excited because i find them really cute. So, the set up i have in mind: 20 gal aquarium, with eco earth, a uth, a hide without a bottom piece on the warm spot (so that the gecko gets belly heat, they dont bask due to being nocturnal as far as i know) and a humid hide with moss on the other side to help with sheds, a water bowl and food bowl, and of course i will buy supplements and probably some fake plants as well

Whats the best brand of supplements? I was gonna buy Rep-Cal calcium and Rep-Cal multivitamin

What are the best food items? I was going to go for mealworms mostly, offer silkworms and superworms as treats once a month maybe or to get the gecko to gain weight if needed, and try to avoid crickets (not very nutritional and very annoying)

How much and how often to feed?

Will medium sized hides be enough for a fully grown male?

What should i look for in a gecko when i pick him/her up from the store? As in looking out for any issues, trying to get a healthy one

I think those are all my questions for now, but if i have any doubts i'll be posting some more :) thanks in advance

Tidgy's Dad

Hello, and a very warm welcome to Gecko Talk. :)
For the calcium question see http://www.geckotalk.com/threads/calcium-supplement.2657/ and http://www.geckotalk.com/threads/calcium.2647/
Your food choices seem to be correct.
Re the hide, I don't know what you mean by medium but have a look at this http://www.geckotalk.com/threads/humid-hides-are-very-important-my-cute-gecko.1895/
Make sure the eyes are bright and the gecko is active and feels a good weight. The tail should be fat.
I must add I don't keep leopards, this is just what I have learned here, hopefully a more knowledgeable owner will be along soon. :G:

Gc99

Hello, and a very warm welcome to Gecko Talk. :)
For the calcium question see http://www.geckotalk.com/threads/calcium-supplement.2657/ and http://www.geckotalk.com/threads/calcium.2647/
Your food choices seem to be correct.
Re the hide, I don't know what you mean by medium but have a look at this http://www.geckotalk.com/threads/humid-hides-are-very-important-my-cute-gecko.1895/
Make sure the eyes are bright and the gecko is active and feels a good weight. The tail should be fat.
I must add I don't keep leopards, this is just what I have learned here, hopefully a more knowledgeable owner will be along soon. :G:
Thanks! I'll keep and eye out for bright eyes and a fat tail. Do you think the set up I have in mind is correct?

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Welcome to Gecko Talk! I'm a leopard gecko breeder. Many leopard gecko keepers prefer to keep their geckos on non-particle substrate (I use ceramic tile), but I've kept them on eco earth before and it's been fine. It can get a bit dry and dusty, though.
Supplements: I prefer Repashy Calcium Plus because it's got all in one - calcium,D3 and other vitamins and minerals. I used to use RepCal calcium with D3 and Reptivite. That worked too.
Food: I raise my leo hatchlings on mealworms but I find that the ones I keep to adulthood get bored with them. Currently I feed the adults alternating feedings of crickets and super worms. They also get silkworms on rare occasions and hornworms for a treat. I have investigated cricket nutrition and they are just fine nutritionally. They will also eat tropical roaches if you choose to go that route.
Feeding frequency: I feed my juveniles and adults three times a week. Everyone doesn't choose to eat each time. Conversely, when the females are breeding they sometimes show me that they're hungry more often so they get fed more often. Try not to worry if the gecko doesn't eat every time you feed it.
Hides: I don't know what size the mediums are. Get one and see how your gecko does. They do like to curl up inside the hide.
Healthy gecko: as mentioned above, fat tail, bright eyes (no crust), clean vent. Don't feel sorry for a gecko and take it home because it looks sick. It is sick and you won't have a good experience. If there's any way you can buy from a reputable breeder rather than a big chain pet store I'd recommend it.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Aliza

Gc99

Welcome to Gecko Talk! I'm a leopard gecko breeder. Many leopard gecko keepers prefer to keep their geckos on non-particle substrate (I use ceramic tile), but I've kept them on eco earth before and it's been fine. It can get a bit dry and dusty, though.
Supplements: I prefer Repashy Calcium Plus because it's got all in one - calcium,D3 and other vitamins and minerals. I used to use RepCal calcium with D3 and Reptivite. That worked too.
Food: I raise my leo hatchlings on mealworms but I find that the ones I keep to adulthood get bored with them. Currently I feed the adults alternating feedings of crickets and super worms. They also get silkworms on rare occasions and hornworms for a treat. I have investigated cricket nutrition and they are just fine nutritionally. They will also eat tropical roaches if you choose to go that route.
Feeding frequency: I feed my juveniles and adults three times a week. Everyone doesn't choose to eat each time. Conversely, when the females are breeding they sometimes show me that they're hungry more often so they get fed more often. Try not to worry if the gecko doesn't eat every time you feed it.
Hides: I don't know what size the mediums are. Get one and see how your gecko does. They do like to curl up inside the hide.
Healthy gecko: as mentioned above, fat tail, bright eyes (no crust), clean vent. Don't feel sorry for a gecko and take it home because it looks sick. It is sick and you won't have a good experience. If there's any way you can buy from a reputable breeder rather than a big chain pet store I'd recommend it.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Aliza
Thank you! And i sure will

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

Visit our friends