Gargoyle or Crestie?

Hermes

Hey Everyone!

I'm considering getting a gargoyle or a crestie but I have questions. I was wondering about the usual price ranges for both of them. i was also wondering if I could feed them baby food instead CGD?

Thank you for your help!

Wind Dancer

the baby food has less nutrients that they both need. in the short term, you won't notice a difference, but you'll end up with a more sickly gecko that might not live as long, in the end.
as for the price-it depends on how much you want to spend. the lower end gargs go for $50-$70, while the lower end cresties(we're talking hatchlings or juvie here, btw) can be found for as low as $30-$40. it just depends on what morph has struck your fancy, whether or not you have a breeder of one or both within driving distance(shipping will about double your price on the lower end/more common herps), etc.
I suggest you check out the Repashy forums, look at the cresties and the gargs and see which one looks like the best fit ;)

darkridder

Melissa the Scientist
long term you will seriously notice a difference inbetween the two foods. Baby food is high in sugars and is not nutritionally balaned. CGD is a complete and balanced diet, which is why so many people feed it. A diet of baby food, even if you offer calcium will normally result in a very over weight gecko with MBD. In the long run baby food will cost you more also. a 4oz bag of crested gecko diet shipped will usually run you $11, and should be changed every other night. Baby food goes bad in a few hours as it was not meant to stand at room temp.

And as stated, it all really depends on the breeer and morph of the gecko. Most gargs are about 50-75, $60 being most average. Cresteds you can get as cheap as $20 for a buckskin, but you can normally find a nice little gecko in the $40-$50 range.

Both make good pets, I do have both. Gargs are more apt to bite, but if you hold them from an early age, they still make great pets. Mine have never bitten, but boy do gargs love to poop on you!

Best place to look is a local reptile show, then you can have your pick of many different geckos. And obviously there are plenty of breeders online!

ketz

hey darkridder, I'm also thinking of getting a Crestie and I see you're a breeder in Ohio. I live over by Medina, do you ever sell at the All Cleveland Reptile show?

darkridder

Melissa the Scientist
This year I will be doing shows once breeding season has become in full swing. I plan to do the Taylor show and the Cleveland show, not every single month, but I do plan to hit both of those shows a few times. As of right now I dont have enough stock to take to the show. But I do entertain the idea of meeting, but I do require a fee for that. And I do let people come to my house to pick them up from internet sales, I am quite honestly amazed at how many local sales have from internet sales! I will give a holler though about the hows when the time comes that I will be doing them.

Visit our friends