Gargoyle - possible breathing problems.

Honey

Hey everyone!
Long time leo owner but recently took in a gargoyle that I would call a special care gecko.
I am his third owner. First owner didn't take care of him, he ended up with MBD, he has a bent spine, second owner is a recent graduate from Vet School, and has to move back to the US (I live in Canada) and so I took him in.
He had him in a large terrarium with two crested geckos -- told me they get along fine and have been housed together for quite some time.
Anyways, at first I had a head pad, which I have since gotten rid of due to my own research. I have both a regular light and a heat light as it will get cold in my house later this year. Winter's a-commin. I mist twice a day, once in the morning and once at night. He moves around (slowly), he eats. I've been giving him extra calcium -- blueberry flavored, he seems to love it -- as a side question, can they have TOO much calcium???
To my actual question.... I didn't notice it the first week but the last couple of days it seems like he is breathing heavy. My own research said maybe he's too hot? or maybe his is trying to shed and can't? At first I thought I just made him nervous but like I said, I really didn't notice it the first couple of weeks. How can I tell if his shed is stuck?
This video seems dark when I play it but hopefully you can see what I mean. I'm not concerned about the breath, 'under his chin' but the stomach area seems to be where he is breathing from, deep breaths.
Any help from the experts out there??

[video=facebook;10201394974168793]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201394974168793&set=vb.1007541903&type=2&theater[/video]

Let me know if you need any more info, and if I should take him to the vet!

Honey

[video=youtube;MwU8vWF_6kc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwU8vWF_6kc&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Maybe that one will work!

PL777

I have an eight year old gargoyle who came from a very similar situation to your gecko (except he had a bent tail, and an overbite).

First, what do you mean by moving "slowly"? Is he having trouble walking, or does he just seem to have a preference for taking his time? If that latter is the case, then he should be fine. My gargoyle has never moved much during the day, and when he does, he is also slow; at night, though, I've seen him running, climbing, et cetera.

As for the calcium, it is possible to overdose. Ironically enough, it could lead to further bone deformity (i.e., in the pelvic region). Personally, I would suggest feeding him a diet of strict CGD with an occasional, once-a-month group of crickets. The CGD already contains the correct ratio of vitamins and minerals for his health, calcium included. Adding supplements would disturb the ratios, and be more harmful than helpful.

If you don't see any mucus or hear any wheezing noises as he breathes, I wouldn't be concerned about the "stomach breathing". It could be a result of his spine having been bent, earlier in life.

You can check for stuck shed by examining his toes. Do they have little white "ribbons" of old skin hanging off? If so, then he has shed (and will need some extra humidity to remove the extra skin, which impairs circulation in his foot). However, if your humidity is ideal and there is no skin on his foot, you could just carefully examine your tank and look for any small pieces lying around (he will eat most of it, but probability dictates that at least one small fragment will be left behind for your viewing pleasure).

Good luck!

Visit our friends