Gecko Diet

Jolenels

3 Year Member
Can a leopard gecko live off of just meal worms? I find they are easier to keep then crickets, as they live longer, don't eat each other, and take up less space. Basically crickets and meal worms are the only insects I have access to to feed.

Caleb C

Mealworms work fine by themselves most of the time. Just pick up crickets whenever you pass the pet store, and get like 5-10 at a time, so there's a smaller chance of them dying off for no reason.
Pretty much get crickets like once a week, or every two weeks and if you only get like 5, feed them like two crickets and two mealworms a day or something, whatever works best for you.

Khenut

Yup, like Caleb said Mealies are okay. It's really a matter of preference. Some geckos would eat both, and in that case it's up to you, and others are picky and prefer one over the other. When given the option, I always stick with Mealies. Given that they are easy to care for, and, most of all, don't smell. Crickets get pretty rank over time if you keep them. :X

Jolenels

3 Year Member
Do you gut load the meal worms the same as the cricket? And will Dora get lazy eating just meal worms...its not like she has to really hunt for them! The crickets she liked to stalk, but the mealworms its a see and eat sort of deal. So far the only hard part of keeping meal worms is keeping my three year old out of the fridge and away from them since she thinks they are the best things ever to play with!

Caleb C

Well since you probably keep it in the fridge, you only need to feed it once a month, unless you finish them all by then.
They don't really get lazy, they're captive pets, and they get plenty of exercise when you bring them out.

Khenut

I tend to remove a large portion of my Mealies from the fridge and keep them in another container in my room with oatmeal and a moisture item, so that they eat and such before I feed them to the critters. I like getting beetles when I can, too, so it's convenient for me to do that. But most of them come gutloaded already, so it's not really necessary I don't think.

Visit our friends