Gecko escapes from cage

Colwill

Hello, I have a Mack Snow Leopard Gecko, I keep her in a 10 gallon tank. I walked in the door this afternoon and found her in the next room over. When I picked her up to put her back she was very flustered and fidgety. I tried feeding her, but she wasn't hungry. She recently finished shedding. It is also very hot out right now (her tank thermometer said it was between 80 and 90 degrees which is in the right range for her).

Does anyone know why she is acting so strange?

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Firstly, welcome to the forum. Glad you were able to find you leo without her getting hurt or really lost!
Does she have a cooler area to go to in case it is too hot for her?

Colwill

Thank you for the welcome, I decided it would be easier to come here with my concerns than to google. Her case has a bowl of water and I have a spray bottle that I sprayed in the case, I have kept the heat lamp off due to the hot weather we have had. We also found her in one of the warmer rooms of the house in a box. However she could have got out to find a colder place and then went to seek a warmer place.

kayla.h

Make sure you have both extremes in the cage. They can't sweat or thermoregulate so their only option for cooling down is to move away from the heat. If it's that hot all over, she can't regulate her own body temperature and that is dangerous. My leos DO NOT like to be sprayed. Even the adults have screamed at me for doing so. She may also dislike the 10 gallon. Try giving her more room by bumping her up to a 20 gallon.

Visit our friends