Gecko Feeding Advice!!!

xtinanard

Hi Everyone, I recently got a leopard gecko on September 15th. He is fully grown (2 y/o) and he went through his first shed recently. I understand that he will not eat for a few days after that, but he seems to not be as eager to eat as he was when we first got him.

Another question I need help with is; how do you get the calcium to stick to your insects??? I tried spraying them beforehand and everything to get it to stick but it doesn't seem to work for mealworms. He has a separate dish of calcium so I'm not too scared. He also seems to have an aversion to the calcium itself and will lick it off of the insects I give him dusted, and continue to not eat it. Please help!!!! thanks

panthergecko

I am not sure what supplement you are using but the spray ones are not good.

Make sure that the calcium he has access to in his set up is Calcium - Phosphorous Free, and Without D3.

What you dust his feeders with should be : Cal with D3 and a Reptile Multivitamin with out D3.

I use Calcium Plus since it's an all in one, and then dust with out d3 calcium my feeders and have a small dish in their set up

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I like calcium Plus (made by Repashy) as well and I actually don't keep any calcium in the enclosure. When I was feeding mealworms to the geckos I sprinkled the Calcium Plus onto the mealworms once they were in the bowl. With the crickets I put them in a deli cup, add calcium and shake them up.
This is about the time when the geckos that were really really hunger in August and September get a lot less hungry. I think it has more to do with the light than the temperatures since my house isn't much colder during the day at least than it was last month.

Aliza

Aliza

panthergecko

I like calcium Plus (made by Repashy) as well and I actually don't keep any calcium in the enclosure. When I was feeding mealworms to the geckos I sprinkled the Calcium Plus onto the mealworms once they were in the bowl. With the crickets I put them in a deli cup, add calcium and shake them up.
This is about the time when the geckos that were really really hunger in August and September get a lot less hungry. I think it has more to do with the light than the temperatures since my house isn't much colder during the day at least than it was last month.

Aliza

Aliza

Yeah some of my leos are starting to eat less and less enthusiastically

xtinanard

I am not sure what supplement you are using but the spray ones are not good.

Make sure that the calcium he has access to in his set up is Calcium - Phosphorous Free, and Without D3.

What you dust his feeders with should be : Cal with D3 and a Reptile Multivitamin with out D3.

I use Calcium Plus since it's an all in one, and then dust with out d3 calcium my feeders and have a small dish in their set up
I am using pure calcium in dish and alternate with Calcium Plus. I find that the plain calcium doesnt stick as well, so I sprayed with Reptisafe treated water, I think because the humidity in my house has been quite high it causes the calcium to clump up... however humidity in the tank has been dropping rapidly! Thanks for the advice :)

xtinanard

Aliza

Aliza
Hi Aliza, what are your thoughts on D3 lighting? Lots of the research I have done has been inconclusive so I also supplement with Calcium plus about every third feeding. Do you think this is enough for my gecko? I found after he sheds and I give him a few days hes just as active as he was before and receives no lighting thus far.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I know that Arcadia makes lights that target nocturnal geckos for UVB delivery. It's worth finding their website, reading up and sending them a question if you need to. In my opinion, the problem with UVB for nocturnal geckos (that hide during the day, as opposed to being out in the light like crested geckos) is that it's really hard to tell how much UVB they're getting. On the other hand, delivering huge amounts of D3 can result in oversupplementation. I'm supplementing every other feeding and my instinct says that if you're supplying UVB through the lighting (and changing the bulbs every 6-12 months) then supplementing with calcium plus every 3rd feeding should be fine.

Aliza

White Shaq

Hi Everyone, I recently got a leopard gecko on September 15th. He is fully grown (2 y/o) and he went through his first shed recently. I understand that he will not eat for a few days after that, but he seems to not be as eager to eat as he was when we first got him.

Another question I need help with is; how do you get the calcium to stick to your insects??? I tried spraying them beforehand and everything to get it to stick but it doesn't seem to work for mealworms. He has a separate dish of calcium so I'm not too scared. He also seems to have an aversion to the calcium itself and will lick it off of the insects I give him dusted, and continue to not eat it. Please help!!!! thanks
what I do is put a dish of calcium in their tank. they should lick it when they need it

I keep a dish of calcium without the D3 in his tank, and I dust his food with calcium with added D3. I usually do this by tossing them around in a Ziploc bag (I know my vet also said this works all right), or I kind of dip the worms in the calcium that I sprinkled into a dish.

Visit our friends