Gecko hasn't eaten much in 3 months

static

Basically what the title says. I've had my gecko for nearly a year now. She's 5(ish) years old, and was a rescue. She has corneal scarring but used to be a great eater, downing 7-8 large crickets every other night and the occasional meal worm/wax worm/horn worm. For the last 3 months (maybe even longer) I'm lucky if I can get her to eat 1-2 prey items every week or two. I have taken her to the vet and she has a clean bill of health. Her weight has gone from 71 grams down to 63, which I know is still healthy and its over a longer period of time that she lost it, but I feel like it's still concerning. I have offered every prey item available to me (crickets, meal worms-pupa and beetles as well, super worms-pupa and beetles as well, wax worms, butter worms, horn worms, and thawed pinkie mice). Aside from a few crickets, horn worms and a single pinkie she hasn't eaten at all. I have checked for signs of ovulation and eggs repeatedly and have never seen any signs of either. She's in a 20 long with a UTH covering a 1/3 of the tank, temp gradient at 93F-75F (measured with probe thermometer), has a warm humid and cool hide, and has paper towel substrate aside from moss in the humid hide. I'm just at a loss of what to do at this point. She's still very active and alert, sheds come off well, still technically a healthy weight. I've tried assist feeding a couple of times (gently rubbing the corners of her mouth to get her to open up, then popping in a meal worm or wax worm) but she has always simply spits it out. I've heard that this is their breeding season typically, but is it normal for them to go off food this long, and to lose weight in the process? I'm getting worried and am starting to get annoyed by every care sheet/sticky on every forum saying that if they stop eating its due to illness or husbandry, which I don't think is the case here.

indyana

The only thing I didn't see you mention was vitamins/supplements. What sort of supplements have you been using on her food?

Beyond that, you'll just have to keep an eye on her. You really shouldn't force an animal to eat unless it is in dire straits, and she's old enough to regulate her food intake. If she continues to lose weight and starts looking thin, they only thing I can suggest is having a parasite recheck and consulting with a vet again.

static

She always has calcium w.o. d3 in her tank, and when she was eating normally vitamins consisted of every other feeding using calcium w. d3 and every 7 feedings the repashi calcium plus vitamin supplement for nocturnal lizards. Do you know if its normal for them to slow down on eating during the breeding season?

Tongue Flicker

Hardcore Animal Lover
Seems like you're doing everything right. Don't worry i feel you. One of my females has gone overboard with dieting as well due to ovulation season. She has eaten a couple of pinkie mice over the past month since everything else is ignored. My other 2 females are back on track to eating again so hopefully they'll all regain weight. Just make sure she takes her supplements, drinks water and poops fine and she'll be fine :)

INDRAJM

My girl just went through the same thing. She was eating only a little bit. I took her to the vet and he said he thought she was going to lay eggs. She never did.
she has slowly gotten her appetite back. I did turn her temp down to about 88-89. That seems to have perked her up. She is just starting to eat well. Try not to worry too much...I know it's easier said then done.

Visit our friends