Gecko hunger strike, day 18

Jayme

I don't know what to do.
The run down:
set up: substrate= shelf liner;
three hides=1 humid, 1 dry cool, 1 dry hot;
temps= between 87 and 92, usually 89. Depends on the weather and temperature of house. measured with digital + probe;
heating: UTH only
tank= 20 gallon as of today, but previously a 10 gallon.
water and calcium constantly available, and consumed regularly;

age= over 1 year, younger than 2. I've owned him for seven months now.
fecal matter= normal, healthy looking
No visible weight loss. He's quite energetic, and frequently begs to be taken out of the cage. Sometimes 3 times a night. He stares with interest at food, then turns away. There's nothing in his tank he could have swallowed to become impacted, and there's nothing unusual about his appearance like a bruise or swollen spot.

The situation:
For a few months I was using superworms as a staple, and before that it was crickets and occasionally mealworms. Then he began refusing superworms, so I ordered silkworms and hornworms. He accepted silkworms, and accepted very enthusiastically the hornworms. Then I ran out of them, so I offered mealies. He took those for a while. Then began refusing them too. So I offer crickets, and he took those for a very short while, and now will not eat anything I put in front of him, not even silks.

I currently have silkworms, mealworms, superworms, and crickets on hand to try to feed him. He absolutely refuses phoenix worms. Normally he just closes his eyes and turns away, but when I offered phoenix worms he attacked me. o_O;;

My thoughts:
He's not on any particular feeding schedule (as in a time of day) so I was thinking making a set food offering time might help, as well as a timer for his light so that he has consistency. And also a dish to drop food in instead of dropping it in front of him.

I suppose I could attempt hornworms again, but they are quite expensive and I cannot afford to use them as a staple. I can't afford the silkworms as a staple either. They also tend to grow too big to feed to my gecko much too quickly.

What am I to do?

ofek

from my experience, sometimes they tend to not eat even for a month or two. A freind of mine told me his gecko didn't eat for 4 (!!!) months and she's o.k. now...
If he behaves normally, I think you should give him some time...

ajveachster

If he behaves normally, I think you should give him some time...

I agree. Leave the food items with him for 15 minutes or so, then pull out what he doesn't eat since you don't use a dish. That way the food doesn't bother him. I would also agree that having a set schedule may help. Let us know how things turn out.

Jayme

Okay, thanks. I recently got him a dish, so I leave mealworms in it over night, but he still doesn't touch them, though I did see him peer curiously at them a couple times. If all else fails and he starts losing weight, I'll take him to the vet.

G

Gonser

You may want to bump up your temps to about 92-93 to see if that helps. Many here notice a stronger feeding response with just a few degree boost like that. Are you using a good thermostat to be sure you are keeping your temps constant?

I would get it eating by feeding waxworms...put 10-15 in a shallow dish and let it pig out. That may stimulate its appetite. Then I'd go to superworms properly gutloaded and hydrated with carrots so they are juicy and lively. Using crickets minus the jumping legs is a good idea too. Once eating again, it will start to have the hunger cravings and you should be all set. Try boosting your temps slightly.

Good luck.

Jayme

Yeah, I recently bumped things up so it's at about 90 to 91.

And guess what? I just had a success!! Before I'd only been offering smaller worms, but this time I offered a nice, fat, juicy silkworm that was somewhere between 1 1/2 inches and 2 in. It took him a moment of debating, but the worms writhing seemed to do the trick. He gobbled it right down. ^_______^

I'd love to get him back on superworms, it's more affordable and easier maintenance for me, but he seems to be bored with them. He absolutely refuses 'em.

Visit our friends