Gecko Hunger Strike

Louise

Hello, I'm sure this has been asked before but I was wondering if anyone had tips because I've asked a fairly knowledgeable friend who's not sure what else I can do bar getting pure calcium and trying a UVB light. The calcium I dust his food with has other additives which I've read shouldn't be left for him to help himself. He hasn't eaten for 2 weeks (he may have had 2 mealworms but they could be hiding in the tank)

About your leo:
- Sex M
- Age & Weight Approx 7/8 years. Weight 80g (he has lost a bit of weight but I've been told judging how he looks now he could have been a bit overweight)
- How long have you owned your leo Approx 7 Years
- Where was he/she obtained (ex. Pet store, breeder, wild caught, friend) Pet Store

A) Health/History
- How often do you handle your leo a few times a week
- Is your leo acting any different today? If so how does he/she normally act which differs from now. He seems more lethargic than usual. Hasn't eaten for 2 weeks
- Has he/she had any problems in the past, if so please describe. No
B) Fecals
- Describe (look any different than normal) Slight Weight loss in tail
- When was the last time he/she went Possibly 1 1/2 to 2 weeks
C) Problem
- Please briefly describe the problem and how long it has been going on Not eating, when offered food from tongs he turns away. Seems lethargic and is basking in a different spot in the tank. He usually hides in a warm corner but now he's on a warm open area on rocks.

Housing:
A) Enclosure
- Size Min 20 Gallon, its a double glass door setup
- Type (ex. glass tank) Glass, front sliding doors
- Type of substrate Reptile Carpet (are tiles a better option)
- Hides, how many, what kind Cold hide, log hide in middle of tank, damp hide in warm side, warm hide he uses as a toilet and usually hides at the back of it
B) Heating
- Heat source Mat
- Cage temps (hot side, cool side) Hot side during day 30-32c, I have woken up to it being 27c in morning, is that too cold? Cold side 24-26 during day
- Method of regulating heat source The heat mat has a regulator
- What are you using to measure your temps a plugged in probe, heard they are not very accurate though
- Do you have any lights (describe) A red heat bulb but whenever I put it on he hides so its not used. It was recommended by a reptile shop but it seems too hot.
C) Cage mates
- How many (males, females) 0
- Describe health, or previous problems He looks healthy

Describe Diet:
A) Typical diet
- What you're feeding (how often, how much) He was on crickets when younger but mealworms for last 4 years when he stopped eating crickets. He has eaten waxworms in past occasionally. I've offered mealworms, black crickets and waxworms last week and he's refused all.
- How are you feeding (hand fed, left in dish, ect) Dish
B) Supplements (describe how often) Usually twice a week.
- What vitamin/minerals are you using (list brands) CALCI-DUST and Nutrobal both by vetark
- What are you gut loading food with Bug Grub by Prorep and some veg we have leftover, carrots, greens etc

Attachments

• 20200429_203410.jpg
    20200429_203410.jpg
    658.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200502_084359.jpg
    20200502_084359.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 3

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I have found it fairly common for leopard geckos to go off feed sometimes. It's also pretty normal for them to decide to sleep in a different place. The husbandry details sound fine. I'm not familiar with the supplement you use, so make sure it has vitamin D3 in it as well as calcium. I tend to be on the "wait and see what happens" side of things, especially these days where it's hard to leave the house and do anything. In my opinion you should keep offering and be patient. If you feel strongly that there's something wrong (you know your gecko better than I do) consider a reptile vet visit.

Aliza

Visit our friends