Gecko Not Eating

lizardman0126

My Fat Tailed gecko has not been eating and I'm really worried for him. He does one cricket a day now, but that's it.

Info:

Tank Size: 10 gallon
Substrate: Paper Towel
food trying to be fed: Crickets
Temp: Hot Spot- 85-89.5 Ambient- 79.5 Cool side- 65-75 (Its room temperature)
Decor: Two caves, and a water bowl

Some people have told it because his tank is to small for him, its not hot enough, or it's a winter cycle.
He is only juvenile and it will be a year of me owning him in April.
I just want my gecko back to normal anyone please help me.

Kylerbassman

Do you have a humid hide. Does he look like he's going to shed soon? Have you seen him shed yet and if so, how long ago. I would recommend getting at least a 20 gallon long for a single adult.

Kylerbassman

Also, your hot side should be around 93 degrees. What are you using for heating. Are you using a Uth as main heat source?

Kylerbassman

Fat tailed geckos require a little bit more humidity than a Leo. You should be misting your Viv a few times a week and keeping a moist hide, preferably closer to the warm side.

lizardman0126

Fat tailed geckos require a little bit more humidity than a Leo. You should be misting your Viv a few times a week and keeping a moist hide, preferably closer to the warm side.

I've seen him shed once a few months ago but they're is no sign of shedding. I don't have humid hide. I only use them when he sheds. Unfortunately I don't keep up the humidity because it's all gone in about 15 minutes. I'm going to add of this stuff when I get the 20 GAL on Saturday. Thanks.

Embrace Calamity

I've seen him shed once a few months ago but they're is no sign of shedding. I don't have humid hide. I only use them when he sheds. Unfortunately I don't keep up the humidity because it's all gone in about 15 minutes. I'm going to add of this stuff when I get the 20 GAL on Saturday. Thanks.
Keep a humid hide in there all the time. With no humid hide and low humidity in the setup, it's probably dehydrated. A screen keeps almost no humidity, especially if you're using a light, so cover up part of the screen with plastic wrap or tape (on the outside). Also, switch to a UTH if you're using a light. And how are you measuring temps and humidity? You need digitals, not analog.

~Maggot

Kylerbassman

I use a little bit of moss in the humid hide that generally keeps the moisture in, but every 3 days I mist the moss to make sure there is always a moist spot. With my Leo's, I still mist entire tank once a week.

Kylerbassman

Temperature readings are important though. I good infrared thermometer is crucial and worth every penny. You can get them at a hardware store a ton cheaper than at a pet/reptile store.

lizardman0126

I am already using a heat along with a light. I'm going to get a 20 GAL (hopefully) today, so I have space to put a humid hide. And I using a a Repti Temp gun, which is digital.

Visit our friends