Gecko opening and closing mouth randomly

masinas

Recently, for the past two months, my leopard gecko has been going to the front of her tank and opening and closing her mouth. I can always hear her doing it, it’s not loud but she does it for a couple minutes then stops. I feed her weekly, usually about 15-20 mealworms. Is there any cause for that? She’s also been having a rough time getting the shed off her nose, I always wet her moist hide but she only goes in it for a little bit. She’s had a cut on her nose for the longest time and she’s been worrying me lately with her behavior.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I don't know for sure that the opening and closing is an issue, though sometimes it happens when the geckos has an upper respiratory infection (I'm not saying yours does, and the only way to know is to take it to a vet). I recommend you watch for when she starts to go into shed and see if you can take the shed off her nose so she doesn't keep opening the cut up when she sheds.

Aliza

masinas

I don't know for sure that the opening and closing is an issue, though sometimes it happens when the geckos has an upper respiratory infection (I'm not saying yours does, and the only way to know is to take it to a vet). I recommend you watch for when she starts to go into shed and see if you can take the shed off her nose so she doesn't keep opening the cut up when she sheds.

Aliza
Thank you so much! I will take her to an exotic vet if she continues. I’ve been applying some water gently on her nose to help with the stuck shed there.

Visit our friends