Gecko Temperatures?

megan.w

3 Year Member
I was wondering what temperatures does my enclosure has to be in the day? At the moment it is 70 in the basking are a 65 in the cool area? This is as hot as I can get it does anyone have any suggestions about how to make it hotter in there? Thanks :)

Amanda1

3 Year Member
Not sure about specific temps for leos, but i'm pretty sure it should be warmer than 70. Try using a heat bulb (and if you're using one already, get one with a higher wattage) or put a heating mat under the cage.

megan.w

3 Year Member
There is a heat mat in there may have to get higher wattage then will have to travel to the store tomoz and take my other one back :)

Maryelizabeth

3 Year Member
For my leo tanks I have a heat matt and a 50 watt basking bulb on one side in my 10 gallons to make it hot enough. At night time I turn the heat lamp off and just use the heat matt to have cooler night time temps.

How much of the tank does you heat matt cover?
How big is the tank?

I wouldnt get a hotter heat mat, but I would just add another heat source. You dont want your gecko burning its little tummy! :0

Maryelizabeth

3 Year Member
Also, what are you using for substrate?
In your pic it shows bark chips, and that really isnt good.
I would switch to reptile carpet or ceramic tiles, they hold the heat well.
Bark chips are not soft and can cut the gecko. They are also fatal if ingested.

megan.w

3 Year Member
My tanks about 1.5feetx1.5feet? I will be keeping the heat mat as it is, it takes up about half of the tank,my bulb is only 25watts at the moment so I will get a 50watt one tomoz?:)

Maryelizabeth

3 Year Member
Thats perfect as far as the heat mat goes. Yeah, a 50 watt bulb would probably be perfect, and I would get a basking light if you have a dome light holder, because they tend to make a more concentrated heat spot, wich is better for thermoregulation.

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
Do you have a cover for the enclosure? If you put one on, you will trap heat and make it warmer inside. My leos seem to like ambient (air) temps around 80-85 degrees. I also use a hot rock (which some people don't like, but my babies like the belly heat to digest their dinner) and a red bulb for extra warmth at one end of the tank. So the tank has a gradient of around 78 at one end and 88 at the other. I see people offer higher temps for leos, because their native habitat gets really hot during the day (100 or so). But leos are nocturnal, and come out at night. They bask on rocks to absorb heat left by the sun during the day, then go out hunting.

megan.w

3 Year Member
Thank you, there is a lid on there, she tends to lye where the heat mat is most of the time and keeps very warm there.:)

Geckomaster743

Yeah for a Leopard Gecko Enclouser i would Suggest Keeping it from 80 - 90 In the Day. Though you don't want it getting as high as 90 if they don't have any hiding spots. And at night i'd suggest 75-80. Normally you would want to stay around those temperatures so they don't get too hot or cold!

megan.w

3 Year Member
its all ok now :) Its 90 in the day and 80 at night and she has 2 hiding spots so all ok! I don't have her on woodchips now i have her on vinyl and she seems a lot more healthier!

Visit our friends