Gecko weight question

Emily1111

I've had my female leopard gecko for about 5 years now and she's always been the same size and weight but compared to other geckos and the normal weight she technically should be shes really small. She weighs about 35-38 grams. I hand feed her every other day: (sometimes she doesn't eat anything other days she eats up to 14 mealworms) and she has a bowl of mealworms in her enclosure. ive attached a picture of her. Is her size a concern? I also recently bought another "female" and added her to the same enclosure, turns out he was a male so my old gecko laid her first eggs 2 months ago and now she's a month over due with her second batch. Could this be because she's so small. The male weighs 53 grams.

Attachments

• 20200723_221317.jpg
    20200723_221317.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:

JadedGeckos

the ideal weight for a gravid female or a female that u wanna breed is 50grams but since urs wasent intentional it might be due to the undersize she got that she isnt making more eggs ( just a gues ). if you want her to gain more weight you might want to change the diet she has. meal worms dosent have the most nutrition.. like they are at the bottom of the food tier for geckos sadly. they are easy to keep but not the best for a stable diet.

the best foods for leos are Dubia roaches or crickets. im using crickets and they are easy to care for but i got some problems to get them to reproduce...

dubias i havent gotten since i would have to import via mail since pet stores dont sell them or have to import aswell.

i have mealworms aswell apart from my crickets but they are for my axolotl.. i have given mealworms to my leos but they dont wanna eat them atall.. they lick them and look at them but they dont want them since they got crickets. so beaware if u give them crickets or dubias once they might not want mealworms again

Emily1111

the ideal weight for a gravid female or a female that u wanna breed is 50grams but since urs wasent intentional it might be due to the undersize she got that she isnt making more eggs ( just a gues ). if you want her to gain more weight you might want to change the diet she has. meal worms dosent have the most nutrition.. like they are at the bottom of the food tier for geckos sadly. they are easy to keep but not the best for a stable diet.

the best foods for leos are Dubia roaches or crickets. im using crickets and they are easy to care for but i got some problems to get them to reproduce...

dubias i havent gotten since i would have to import via mail since pet stores dont sell them or have to import aswell.

i have mealworms aswell apart from my crickets but they are for my axolotl.. i have given mealworms to my leos but they dont wanna eat them atall.. they lick them and look at them but they dont want them since they got crickets. so beaware if u give them crickets or dubias once they might not want mealworms again
I dont mind her not laying any more eggs as long as it isn't somehow causing her pain. I used to feed her crickets when I first got her but she would have trouble catching them and she was even skinnier so that's why I changed it to mealworms mainly i think her eyesights pretty poor as sometimes she misses the mealworms aswell. I also forgot to mention i give her waxworms every once in a while and I had silkworms a few months back but she didn't seem to like them very much. I've never tried dubia roaches. I'll order dubia roaches and ill try crickets again though. Thank you for the advice.

JadedGeckos

I dont mind her not laying any more eggs as long as it isn't somehow causing her pain. I used to feed her crickets when I first got her but she would have trouble catching them and she was even skinnier so that's why I changed it to mealworms mainly i think her eyesights pretty poor as sometimes she misses the mealworms aswell. I also forgot to mention i give her waxworms every once in a while and I had silkworms a few months back but she didn't seem to like them very much. I've never tried dubia roaches. I'll order dubia roaches and ill try crickets again though. Thank you for the advice.

if you feel they have abit of a problem to catch the food you can hand feed / tongfeed but if they have problem with even that i would just hand feed while you crush the head of the cricket so it dosent move around too much since alot of leos dont like the antena or the legs hitting them. and by crushing the head of the cricket its much easier to hold them urself...

or what you can do is. get a small paper/plastic cup and put the food in thier. tilt it on the side and let the leo catch it from there. then its alot smaller range of error and well the food is more or less in the same place so if it misses one it might catch another.

but saying that i like to handfeed / tongfeed since its fun to see how they curl up to pounce. and it helps with bonding

Emily1111

if you feel they have abit of a problem to catch the food you can hand feed / tongfeed but if they have problem with even that i would just hand feed while you crush the head of the cricket so it dosent move around too much since alot of leos dont like the antena or the legs hitting them. and by crushing the head of the cricket its much easier to hold them urself...

or what you can do is. get a small paper/plastic cup and put the food in thier. tilt it on the side and let the leo catch it from there. then its alot smaller range of error and well the food is more or less in the same place so if it misses one it might catch another.

but saying that i like to handfeed / tongfeed since its fun to see how they curl up to pounce. and it helps with bonding
Okay that sounds good I'll be sure to try it once I get the crickets. Thanks again.

Visit our friends