Gecko with broken leg in a splint

Chupes

Hey fellas,

So my female leopard gecko that is about 8-9 months old suffered a fractured right femur (back leg) close to her pelvis. This occured last Thursday evening, and I took her to the vet first thing Friday morning. The vet suggested 2 x-rays, but to save money I opted for a single film only ($70 for one, $110 for both) The leg was splinted by wrapping some sort of medical wrap (ace bandage-ish) around the leg and tail to immobilize the leg. She was put on a month long course of Baytril as an antibiotic and Metacam for inflammation/pain.

My question is this: How long does it take for stuck shed to cause damage such as loss of toes? Since her leg and tail are wrapped, I can only partially remove her shed from the last 75% of her tail and 3 of her 5 toes. The vet said, should this happen I can bring her back in and they would unwrap her and take care of it. Unfortunately, I just do not have the money for that. She is supposed to go back in for a follow up in about a week and a half (not this Friday, but the next). Will her toes survive util then? I have been keeping her hides moist in hopes that dragging her tail around will cause some to come off. The follow-up appointment should be a little cheaper, so I hope she can hold out till then.

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

(sorry for the length)

Misstasha

I'd call the vet and ask what YOU could do !!! Sorry don't have better advice.. Hopefully someone more experienced than myself could tell you more!!

Olimpia

La Española
Wait, so the entire foot is wrapped? If it is there's not much you could do unfotunately. Unless you could unwrap just the foot... otherwise I don't know.

Chupes

Nah, the leg is wrapped to the tail, and a little bit of the foot pokes out the end, the 3 middle toes and the very tips of the end toes on each side.

Pretty much, does anyone know how long for shed to cause damage or can it wait a week and a half until the vet follow-up.

Olimpia

La Española
Yes, a week and a half is't long enough to cause harm, at least not in the sense that he's lose the toe. I've left geckos in the care of friends before for a couple weeks and, long story short, the little guy still had shed on his toes two and a half weeks later. But I got back and took care of it and he was fine.

oceanoasis

im definately not saying its what you should do but my female has had 2 layers of shed on her toes before and still kept the toes. although it was just the very last knuckle and not the whole foot.

V

VitalTears

Yes, a week and a half is't long enough to cause harm, at least not in the sense that he's lose the toe. I've left geckos in the care of friends before for a couple weeks and, long story short, the little guy still had shed on his toes two and a half weeks later. But I got back and took care of it and he was fine.

+1

Visit our friends