Gecko with possible neurological issues?

Kimyoonmi

So I have a female gecko, in my best estimation a super hypo mild tangerine carrot tail. (parents are a super hypo tangerine carrot tail [M] and a superhypo super yellow [F])

I've raised her since she hatched from her egg. None of her siblings show any of the same symptoms (4 others, one half sibling). It was hot that summer with the heat spiking so I did my best to try to keep the eggs evenly at the same temp, but it was not easy. So I'm not sure if there was a heat spike I missed.

I've been religious about the providing of calcium with vitamin D and multivitamins and she's been on a diet of mostly dubia roaches, some superworms, mealworms and crickets. I used to let her get them from a dish, which she was able to when tiny. But then around 6 months she decided to randomly produce some eggs and went off feed (I hadn't bred her at all I'm not crazy), which drove me up the wall because her shedding got suddenly worse. Her toes would not shed. So I helped her and she really trusted me after that. And then she also got worse.

I tried to get her to eat calcium, etc, and at one point I had to hold the dish up for her and she ate the whole thing.

After that, she produced an infertile egg she seemed to recover, but I had to hand feed her mostly dubia roaches, and crickets, sometimes mealworms. Her aim got worse for some reason. I don't know why.

I got nervous, so I bought new calcium, but that didn't seem to help her.

She started to do head tilting at weird angles, and then she started to do circling. Her favorite thing in the world is being outside of the cage and sleeping in a particular place on my pillow. She'll stay there all day and not move, just sleep. She sometimes begs to come out to do this.

Since I've been hand feeding her, I've been monitoring her everyday. She's now spinning a lot more than before, and refusing to eat as much as before, but her calcium dish is full and I dust the prey items before I give them to her with vitamins and calcium. She's also refusing dubia roaches, which I find a bit strange since she really liked eating them before, only eating crickets. Her aim has gradually gotten worse, so I often have to tap the prey item to her mouth. She gets really frustrated with trying to eat mealworms from the dish, but is oddly stubborn because she wants to do it herself. Maybe a memory from when she could do it herself.

I can't figure out what's going on with her. She can't catch any crickets on her own. Her sister lives with her and has none of these symptoms and is doing just fine. They get along very well and threw fits when they couldn't be in the same front opening cage which is bioactive. The only time she got upset was because she was slower catching prey than her sister was and she wanted that dubia roach, but her sister forgave her and then determined to only eat from the dish or wait until her sister was done eating (a lot more considerate than my sibling). None of the other geckos whom I treat the same have the same symptoms.

So I can't seem to crack what it is. Anyone have ideas? She doesn't do star gazing, she doesn't get seizures. But she is acting odd. She is the sweetest of the geckos I hatched, though...

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
There are geckos that circle and are uncoordinated. It doesn't always start at birth. It's called "enigma syndrome" and I have read occasionally that it may affect geckos that aren't enigmas. I also think that some geckos may have things going on internally that lead to unusual behaviors. I have a number of geckos that have either never been good hunters or have stopped being good hunters. I have about 20 leopard geckos and I know which ones I have to hand feed. As long as you feel she's having a reasonable quality of life, in my opinion it makes sense to provide whatever accommodations a pet gecko needs to be able to survive.

Aliza

Visit our friends