Geckos are darker then normal sometimes

kic90army

So my boyfriend and I have 2 young cresties. From what our friend at the pet store told us theyre probably around 3 months for the smaller (gidget) and 4 for the larger (rio). On sporadic occasions Rio and Gidget are darker in color then usual. Its sometimes in the evening, sometimes after we mist, theres not that much consistency when it happens. Just wondering why they get darker. Unhappy? Heres how they usually look, ill try to get a picture next time theyre dark.
Also any insight in their age and morph is appreciated!
2ynu4y2e.jpg
5uda9ezu.jpg
uga7y5an.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

DrCarrotTail

Cresties have photocells in their skin that give them the ability to change colors or "fire up" as its often called. It normally happens when they get excited. Mine tend to change when they see a bug they want to eat or sometimes when they're misted. Cute guys!

kic90army

Both our little ones get lighter and brighter when they fire up. That's why were so confused why theyre getting darker sometimes

HerpDerp

This is called "firing up", and there's a lot of debate of why Cresties do it. In my personal opinion, it's a comfort thing. All of my Cresties fire up at night just after they get a humidity bump, then go pale again during the day while they sleep!
In any case, its completely normal, and I see no reason to worry. Gorgeous babies by the way!

HerpDerp

Also, on the left looks to be a patternless Buckskin with some small Dal spotting, on the right I believe you have a flame, but its hard to tell!

kic90army

This is called "firing up", and there's a lot of debate of why Cresties do it. In my personal opinion, it's a comfort thing. All of my Cresties fire up at night just after they get a humidity bump, then go pale again during the day while they sleep!
In any case, its completely normal, and I see no reason to worry. Gorgeous babies by the way!

This is different from when they fire up. This is sporadic and now hasnt happened in probably 2 weeks. But their colors are definaly different when they fire up, not darker.

We actually were taking a close look at these two last night and they both have some black and red dalmation spots to them. I cant wait to see the red come out more as these two grow

Visit our friends