Gecko's - Breeding Trouble.

Geckomaster743

From reading a couple of Thread posts I've begun to worry. I have 3 Leopard Gecko's stored in a 20 Gallon Enclosure, From reading I've heard that if they breed before they are under weight this can cause some real bad health problems... Right now there is a Baby Leopard Gecko Female in there and another Female about the same age as the Male gecko in there with her. Is it possible that they would breed now? They Get along very well but she should not have egg's at this Age.. Should i separate them? By guessing i could say she's 32-33 Grams. She's not a Baby but she's a lot smaller the Older gecko i have Separated and he weigh's almost 45-50 Grams. So what do i do? I would go mad if she died.

jfreemo75

3 Year Member
I'm no expert on leos, but I do know that you should not house opposite sexes together if you are not wanting them to breed. If they breed too young or under a certain weight it can be very harmful to their health. I would take the male out for now, until you are absolutely sure you want to breed them and the younger female is about 45 grams. Or, you could take the smaller female out if you are wanting to breed and let the male and larger female be togehter. My daughter's have a pair of leos that were supposedly 2 females. One turned out to be a male and the female laid eggs a bit early, but thankfully she was an awesome eater and was large enough to be able to handle laying the eggs.
Hope everything works out and let us know what you decide to do.

Geckomaster743

Alright thanks. All 3 Geckos in the 20 Gallon Get along. They Sleep on top of each other, They interact with each other in a friendly way and when its feeding time no one bully's because every one knows they will get there worms.. Im not sure i want to Separate him because he's gotten to be VERY social rather then the older gecko who i had to separate because of his aggression. Hmmm... Any one else's thoughts? Thanks for the feedback jfreemo.

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
Its early yet in the season (at least where I live) for them to start breeding. I like to keep them together, because they do seem to generally like to be in a harem setting. But if you don't want them to breed, you should plan to separate them before spring. I personally feel sorry for the males when I have to put them alone. :( Just watch their weights, they grow so fast in the first year. The girls might be ready by spring.

Geckomaster743

Alright. I'll take some Photo's of her and Upload them. But yeah i feel Really bad for for the Males. When i first put my Oldest Male and my Oldest Female together they didn't get along well. He's been Separated for a while and he only gets too look through the glass. Yesterday my brother let him loose with the others and he seemed REALLY happy to see other geckos. Though to Avoid him fighting with the Younger male he had to be put back in to his Area :( .

Geckomaster743

And how do you Upload a Photo on to the Website with out having to Click on the Link rather then seeing a Big Image?

Geckomaster743

Because when it Says upload a File this Little Square Pops up and then you have to Press it for the Image to upload. On the other hand if its on the Website with out a link it looks so big!

Landen

LSReptiles
Leopard gecko's are not social animals and do best housed separately, I know some people house them communally which can be done but is something that has to be closely monitored and leaves the possibility for scars and dropped tails to happen. Not to mention the potential health issues that could happen to both male and female. Underage and/or underweight females can become egg bound and die and I've seen males get stuck into breeding mode and never eat again ultimately dying in the end. In the end is it worth it to house them together.... thats your risk to take.

If you do chose to house them together, only house females together. They should all be relatively the same size so that the smaller is not under stress from the others (doesn't have to be signs of bullying to cause stress). I believe it's best to house males individually and introduce only when breeding. If housed year round there's no way to gauge when an animal was bred, and they can become lazy and not be as motivated to breed when needed.

From reading a couple of Thread posts I've begun to worry. I have 3 Leopard Gecko's stored in a 20 Gallon Enclosure, From reading I've heard that if they breed before they are under weight this can cause some real bad health problems... Right now there is a Baby Leopard Gecko Female in there and another Female about the same age as the Male gecko in there with her. Is it possible that they would breed now? They Get along very well but she should not have egg's at this Age.. Should i separate them? By guessing i could say she's 32-33 Grams. She's not a Baby but she's a lot smaller the Older gecko i have Separated and he weigh's almost 45-50 Grams. So what do i do? I would go mad if she died.

well seperate them man 20 gallons is good for 2 not 3 and your leos should be adults and way heavier to breed and it will kill them if you try so seprate the male from the rest and the females will be fine but fatten them up good. Remember look at the tail if you want to tell if they are ready and if you are going to breed them weight them too. So good luck and lots of calcium.

Visit our friends