Geckos - Departure

Geckomaster743

How do you feel when you have to sell a Gecko to some one else. Is it for the Profit only or do you really care about where your gecko is going. For example If some one promised you a Million Dollars/Pounds/etc but you know they are irresponsible or you can't guarantee the geckos safety would you let them go?

Caleb C

I think it really depends on the person, i'd make sure that it goes to a good home, but i'm sure that large scale breeders can't make sure they go to good homes.

Geckomaster743

Thats what always drives me nuts. The fact that large scale breeders keep there leopard geckos in such small boxes is cruel. And i don't think there should be so many reptile business. Making this in to a permanent job requires you to only remember " Profit ".

Geckomaster743

Thats what always drives me nuts. The fact that large scale breeders keep there leopard geckos in such small boxes is cruel. And i don't think there should be so many reptile business. Making this in to a permanent job requires you to only remember " Profit ".
And its true there may be objections toward my comment above but its true once you think about it. You get so caught up in this Months rent or taxes that you forget to handle your geckos.

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
I think you can generate a decent profit, make a living, and still treat your animals with the respect and care that they deserve...
That doesn't mean everyone does it that way though

Geckomaster743

Yeah, In a way its not the breeders fault but a least try to make the conditions more comfortable. I would never keep my geckos in a Plastic Container with UTH for the rest of there lives.

Caleb C

Gecko's are already very lucky compared to turtles, res' are sold for so cheap, and i'm willing to bet that 95%+ of the people who buy them don't know how to properly take care of them. Most of the time, if a pet is expensive, better care will be taken to ensure that they will live long, but if a pet is only a couple dollars, people won't care if it dies, since they can easily replace it.

Geckomaster743

Gecko's are already very lucky compared to turtles, res' are sold for so cheap, and i'm willing to bet that 95%+ of the people who buy them don't know how to properly take care of them. Most of the time, if a pet is expensive, better care will be taken to ensure that they will live long, but if a pet is only a couple dollars, people won't care if it dies, since they can easily replace it.
I totally agree. For this reason it pisses me off when my Dad says don't worry if she/he dies ill buy you another one. Though since i value life i wouldn't try to replace a gecko and i was always take care of mine and so whats necessary

Styx

Well, I used to breed pet crested geckos because I know some kids gotta start somewhere and some kids will take awesome care of their pets. But that changed I guess as I saw more and more neglected crested geckos and people that were getting "bored" with them when they bought them as a pet, and I guess didn't know or care that they can live upwards of 20 years. People care less now that basic morphs are so inexpensive. So I shifted gears and now I breed higher end morphs and I tend to cater more towards other breeders or people that want high end display animals/expensive pets. I like that a bit better because I guess people tend to sit down and think more when their gecko is $300 vs $25. So yeah, I definitely care. Enough that I completely did an overhaul on my breeding projects. I like this better now, I breed less and I can hold on to the geckos for longer. What that means is if I don't like someone or a potential buyer, I can refuse the sale because I don't have to move that gecko out ASAP to make room for new hatchlings. I also have less breeders overall and am still downsizing in that area - so now I will be housing my breeders by themselves or in pairs in larger enclosures. So, this works best for me.

Eve Saint

Yes I agree. Some people are like that with theirs kids or other types of pets.
Also you can see a good pet parent by the behaviour of their pet. Some people are not cut out to be good owners of anything. Thankfully all my creatures are nice to each other and I am able to put my foot down when one of them misbehaves. Actually its just my cat who used to misbehave. I try to teach her to be nice to everything living.

Eve Saint

I know of plenty of wealthy people ive come across who were extremely self absorbed and then sooner or later the pet suffered or someone elses. I would check up on the critters I sell, If at all possible, but im sure that would be awfully time consuming.

Geckomaster743

I personally Could be considered a Kid because I'm still 12. But there are a lot of people who are insensitive and would just let some thing like Soccer Practice or home work get in the way of there Gecko. The same thing happens to dogs and cats. Its mean and sick. If you can't take care of a pet don't buy it to "Charm" your child.

Amanda1

3 Year Member
One of my cresties, Petrie, was originally owned by someone who bought it for their kid. The kid had sole responsibility for him, and didn't do their research on how to properly care for a crestie, so Petrie suffered. I'm sure he had the best of intentions, but still...Jacob, you are unusually responsible for someone your age (which I mean as a compliment, in case it doesn't come off that way ;)). I think most kids don't care as much or get bored with their pets. Or maybe they're just not ready to take on the sole care for another living creature. Adults can be that way too. Unfortunately, most people will buy a new pet on a whim, without thinking about whether they'll still want to take care of it in 10-20 years.

Geckomaster743

Thanks Amanda, You seem just as devoted to your animals! The moment i got my first Leopard gecko I knew that i wasn't ever going to let some thing in life get in the way of me taking care of him. Every day I'm with my Leopard Geckos is a new adventure, From Eating Meal worms to Cage Cleaning. Theres always some thing exciting that happens in between. But besides that I will always be satisfied with Geckos.

Visit our friends