Geckos Losing Weight Drastically, Really need help.

ento890

Okay, here is my problem.

In January of 09, I purchased a "proven" mack snow enigma female, a co dominant mack snow male, a tangerine enigma (baby), and a banded raptor (baby). All except the co dom snow were from the same breeder. All were quarantined 1 month before introducing the babies to the babies and adults to adults. All, during quarantine, were eating, drinking, pooping and growing normally. I am NOT at all new to reptiles and these were not my first leo's, although it had been about 2 year since I'd owned leo's.

After introducing the adult male to female, they both stopped eating. I thought it might be stress, so I separated them again. They continued to stop eating. The babies were doing fine. While separated, sometimes they would eat a cricket or mealworm, but still were loosing weight. Since I have had them, I weigh all my leo's once a week, so I have records of their weight.

At some point, they would go through eating spurts and eat a lot, and then loose it all and more again by not eating. The babies were growing strong, and the tangerine enigma I could confirm as a female and the RAPtor a Male, so they were separated. The female was put in with the mack snow enigma female, who was eating well again, and then after about 2 weeks, both girls stopped eating. The pattern continues. Throughout the months, Ive purchased many female geckos, and a few males. ALL OF THE GECKOS BEFORE BEING INTRODUCED ARE QUARANTINED. I will put a few females with one male, and eventually they all stop eating. Is it possible I have a bug going through my leo colonies? Ive never heard of this happening before. I have heard of Crypto, but am not very familiar with the symptoms.

Recently, I have purchased some super snow geckos as well as a mack snow. I have been sure to keep them far away from the other geckos, and they are doing GREAT. I should also say that I have a huge SHTCTB male that has been introduced with a few females that are now very skinny, and he has shown no symptoms that the other geckos have.

I do not know what to do with these poor skinny geckos. I feel like they are just wasting away. I try offering the food in front of them, but they close their eyes and look away. They are all drinking, and like I said, occasionally will eat one cricket. Has anyone dealt with the same problem, I am afraid that the rest of my stock will become infected.

thanks for your help

GrimmyX15

Mkay-um?
I have a problem with my gecko too. it refused to eat... But his bellly have been bloat bit in since last 2 or half week. Im very frustanted, but why? But did your geckos poop orange with water looking gels? My geckos poop bit not normal.

ento890

Bloated belly sounds like a parasite or something. Mine are literally starving. They are not pooping solids, it is more a liquid, but by the time I see it, it is just a dried stain on the paper towel.

JordanAng420

I understand that you quarantined the geckos properly, but unfortunately sometimes reptiles can harbor parasites (and most illnesses, for that matter) for a very long time without showing symptoms. Some don't show symptoms at all. Have you had a fecal sample performed? You can do a "collective" sample and get stool from everyone, and put it together to save some money. Having a sample analyzed is probably a good place to start.

Make sure that when you're cleaning, you START with the healthiest animal, and END with the sickest animal. This helps cross contamination.

JordanAng420

It needs to be fresh. You can keep it in the fridge in a plasic baggie for up to 12 hours beforehand, but it can't be dried.

Emma318

I need sleep.
Also, if you haven't already done so I would separate them all until you figure out what is going on. It seems like with all the switching tanks back and forth, the stress may be making matters worse, and it doesn't sound like the females would be up to breeding anyway. Keeping everyone separate will also enable you to determine which stool sample came from who, although if the vet does find parasites you'll probably have to treat them all anyway. Good luck and keep us posted!

Visit our friends