Gecko's running loose.

D

DontShootMe

Yesterday I come home and I see something run across the hallway floor. I thought it was a mouse or something (I don't have them in my house) So I went to look into the hallway I see one of my SHTCT's sitting there I'm like oh man how'd it get down from the 2nd floor. So I pick her up and go up the stairs then as I walk up the stairs there is my male hybino chilling at the edge of one of the steps 5 steps down from the top. Now I'm thinking crap my rack fell. I get to my room and look nothing is wrong. Turns out one of the studs to the back of the shelving fell out making the shelve lopsided so they were able to escape on that shelf. Can u Imagine 12 leopard geckos running loose in my house and searching for them? lol

KelliH

LOL, I have had a few escapes over the years myself. What has been the most amusing to me is that I have had hatchlings get out and then find them many months later and they are big, huge adults! It;s kinda scary actually, like what bugs are in my house that I do not see, obviously the leos are eating just fine.

The NY Gecko

Don't Get So Carried Away
KelliH said:
LOL, I have had a few escapes over the years myself. What has been the most amusing to me is that I have had hatchlings get out and then find them many months later and they are big, huge adults! It;s kinda scary actually, like what bugs are in my house that I do not see, obviously the leos are eating just fine.
The local zoo released tokay geckos inside of the indoor exhibits, birds, buildings, etc to help wih ****roaches. The great thing is because it gets cold outside in the winter, they can go outside and freeze, or stay indoors, no damage to the environment.

Jeanne

Abbie's Human
I have had my share of escapees too. So far in the past year I have lost about 5 Leopards (Found them all...YEAH). 2 baby Cresteds(Still missing), and a Albino Nelsons Milksnake (Still missing). The funny thing is, I would have thought that the snake would have eaten the geckos, but he didn't, unless he has eaten the Cresteds :(

John N

JCN Reptiles
I've had three escapees. One being my first ever leo. The lid on the rubbermaid wasn't tight enough on the edges an she just slips right through. Others being a albino corn and a savannah monitor. I actually found the monitor under my pillow, which is kinda scary lol.

LeosForLess

Ive had a few geckos escape, usually the same one, found them all. Then about 5 mice, killed them all with mouse traps then i had to get rid of the whole colony.

J

Jedi Master Bruce

Yah, I am always glad to catch my leos on the floor after several months. I must have set up the floor of my room just right because the geckos on the floor turn out great. I should have the University analyze my floor, so I can duplicate it.

D

DontShootMe

Oh man you want to here an escapee story. I went to the reptile show and bought a praying mantis like an african orchid praying mantis. If you spent over a certain amount at this table the vendor gave you a free gift. So I got a baby tarantuala which was the size of a house spider. I put it in a small little cage and he escaped. 1 year later I am sleeping and there is this HUGE ASS spider crawling on my chest I WAS FLIPPING! I didn't know what to do. I caught it and gave it to my friend but wow that was scary when u wake up and see this huge spider on top of you.

Jeanne

Abbie's Human
DontShootMe said:
Oh man you want to here an escapee story. I went to the reptile show and bought a praying mantis like an african orchid praying mantis. If you spent over a certain amount at this table the vendor gave you a free gift. So I got a baby tarantuala which was the size of a house spider. I put it in a small little cage and he escaped. 1 year later I am sleeping and there is this HUGE ASS spider crawling on my chest I WAS FLIPPING! I didn't know what to do. I caught it and gave it to my friend but wow that was scary when u wake up and see this huge spider on top of you.

I seriously think I would have had a Heart attack, no lie. Living in the woods I am getting used to the small ones, like 1/4 or so. But anything larger, and it's heart failure time :freak:

C

Cryptly

DontShootMe said:

:laugh4:

I've had my share of tarantula escapes. I'd probably be pretty freaked too if I woke up to one sitting on me. :freak: Then I'd start worrying about what the tarantula was eating while it was disappeared. . .:anxious:

Did have a near miss with Chinacat. I caught her in the act. :main_laugh:
Picture112.jpg

Gregg M

Registered Member
All I can say is that it is a good thing none of you keep hots....LOL....

Escapes do happen.... It is always avoidable though..... All you need to do is look back at why it happened and fix the issue.....

I have been very lucky and have not had an escape in many years.... I guess keeping hots makes you very cautious.... Making sure all cages are closed properly is a top priority.... Plus, all of my reptiles are in the "hot room" so if they get out of the cage or rack, they can not get out of the room....

DontShootMe said:
1 year later I am sleeping and there is this HUGE ASS spider crawling on my chest I WAS FLIPPING!

Dude, that only happens in the movies...LOL

Last edited:
C

Cryptly

Gregg M said:
Escapes do happen.... It is always avoidable though..... All you need to do is look back at why it happened and fix the issue.....

That is true! :main_yes:

All of my escapes were because of a moment of inattention or me not thinking. The Avic Avic got out because I didn't snap the lid on the vial all the way. The P. regalis got away when it bolted while trying to pack for shipping. The A. bicoloratum escaped when the cat knocked the enclosure over, I didn't think the cat could get to that shelf. Chinacat almost got out when I didn't replace the lid when I went to answer the phone.

All easily avoidable, and luckily all escapees were found and returned to their homes. Each mistake was learned from, and so far not repeated. :)

D

DontShootMe

Back like in 1995 I lost a gecko that i bought from Petco (I know I know that they suck) but it was my first leo. So I got it as a baby and it escaped like a week after I got it. So I looked and couldn't find it about 2 years later I bought 2 more from petco because they were on sale for 20$ the day I brought them home the one I lost showed up. It didn't get that big but it was weird how it survived

Visit our friends