Genetics help

PaysonHobbyist

Hello all,

I have purchased several leopard geckos from reputable breeders and have now been given a few more (once a friend found out I have them and didn't want to take care of them). I know parts of their morphs but am not sure I trust completely what I am told. I like breeding my geckos but don't know if I feel right about it without knowing those morphs...especially if I don't know the HET or if there is any albino. What I am told is one male is Mack Snow, one male is Murphy's Patternless, One female is Bold Marble Eye, two females are RADAR with red eyes, and one female is a mix between two of those listed but looks like a normal to me. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to find out for sure or give me advice on that?

Thank you for your help.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The only way to find out for sure is to test breed for the likely trait (eg breed the possible RADAR het with a definite Bell albino and see if you get albinos; breed the Mack snow with a definite non Mack snow and see if you get Mack snows) and see if it proves out. The problem is that if it doesn't, or if you feel there are still unknown hets, most reputable breeders won't want to buy from you because you can't guarantee their genetics. The other choice is to go with any one where you're sure of the morph and get another gecko whose morph you're also sure of to breed with that one.

Aliza

PaysonHobbyist

The only way to find out for sure is to test breed for the likely trait (eg breed the possible RADAR het with a definite Bell albino and see if you get albinos; breed the Mack snow with a definite non Mack snow and see if you get Mack snows) and see if it proves out. The problem is that if it doesn't, or if you feel there are still unknown hets, most reputable breeders won't want to buy from you because you can't guarantee their genetics. The other choice is to go with any one where you're sure of the morph and get another gecko whose morph you're also sure of to breed with that one.

Aliza

Thank you. That helps. When breeding season comes I will figure it out and you are right, no reputable breeder will touch it if we can’t guarantee it. I wouldn’t expect them to and wouldn’t sell to them without being able to either as I wouldn’t buy from someone myself to breed without knowing for sure. The reason I have these is to help a friend out and to be sure to care for the animals because, while I am fascinated with breeding them and am excited for it, my primary goal is to care for them well.

Thanks again for your help. I am sure I will be reaching back out again for help when the time comes.

Visit our friends