FireShot Capture 023 - Amazon.com Shopping Cart - www.amazon.com.png
    71.6 KB · Views: 5
  • FireShot Capture 024 - Shopping Cart - www.joshsfrogs.com.png
    FireShot Capture 024 - Shopping Cart - www.joshsfrogs.com.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 5
  • FireShot Capture 023 - Amazon.com Shopping Cart - www.amazon.com.png
    FireShot Capture 023 - Amazon.com Shopping Cart - www.amazon.com.png
    71.6 KB · Views: 5
  • FireShot Capture 025 - Frozen Pinky Mice - East Coast Reptile Foods - www.eastcoastreptilefood...png
    FireShot Capture 025 - Frozen Pinky Mice - East Coast Reptile Foods - www.eastcoastreptilefood...png
    8.2 KB · Views: 5

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Here are my suggestions:
--Don't get the kit. (but see below) There are things there you don't need. Get a 20 gallon long tank (30"x12"x12"). A 10 gallon is too small. Check out craigslist because you may be able to get one for a lot less than the reptile stores charge. You don't need the light. It's not bad to have, but it's unnecessary as long as there's light in the room.
Check out eBay for heat pads. I use heat cable that can be taped to the bottom of the cage and then removed and taped somewhere else as opposed to the ones with the adhesive that aren't much good once they've been pulled off the surface they were attached to.
Check out craigslist or the pet store for hides and bowls or make your own.
The temperature dial pictured with the kit is useless. You can get a reptile thermometer --digital with a temperature probe-- for about $10 or maybe less.

That said, if all this individual sourcing is overwhelming, go ahead and get a kit, but when you have an adult leopard gecko, it will need a 20 gallon long enclosure.

Don't get the pinky mice. Geckos don't really need them (and what are you going to do if it won't eat the mouse?)

Google "making a humid hide". It's really easy.

Feel free to ask more questions if you need to.

Aliza

Theeasy

Well, I have a choice.
I can either get:
1. Beardie
or
2. Leopard gecko
Beardie:

Attachments

• FireShot Capture 026 - Red morph bearded dragon - PetClassifieds.com - petclassifieds.com.png
    FireShot Capture 026 - Red morph bearded dragon - PetClassifieds.com - petclassifieds.com.png
    278.3 KB · Views: 4
  • FireShot Capture 029 - Leopard Geckos For Sale!! Hundreds Of Leopard Gecko Morphs Available!_ ...png
    FireShot Capture 029 - Leopard Geckos For Sale!! Hundreds Of Leopard Gecko Morphs Available!_ ...png
    41.3 KB · Views: 4

CrestedGarg

Either one would need a bigger enclosure, at least a 20 for the Leopard and probably bigger for the beardie. If you want to bypass the bugs and special lighting then I'd check out a Crested or Gargoyle Gecko as they have a prepared diet you can purchase and their enclosures would need to be taller instead of long.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The bearded dragon is a really enjoyable pet but it needs a 40 gallon enclosure absolute minimum and the UV light will need to be changed every year or so. Read care sheets on both, as well as for crested geckos and gargoyle geckos and see what looks the most manageable. If you're buying for a 10 year old, try not to get a hatchling but go for a well socialized juvenile.

Aliza

Visit our friends