Getting reptile-cash

QuartzYellowjacket

Even though I enjoy reptiles and whatnot it's hard to get my parents on the gravy train, especially when it came to dubia roaches. So it's hard to fund my own projects, but I've had a youtube account since January of 2011 and I've been able to make money with that. Its also how I'm going to get my tokay gecko. Does anyone else have any stories of hard times trying to get reptiles?

jenna

You could get a job. But that kind of depends on how old you are. If your to young to work a regular job you could shovle porches or driveways..... Or walk dogs... I am limited by space I live in a 550 sqft apt. So for now its just the tokay and my russian tortoise. But If I had more space I would set up my mesh cage an put a cubian night anole in it or a chemelon. And I would also got a kenya sand boa if my husnabd was not afraid of them..:(. But luckly for my money is not the issue... it is space.

Caleb C

It's hard to make good money with Youtube.
Dubia roaches are going to be hard to get if you're looking to breed them, they cost a big chunk.
It's hard to get money being under 18, since jobs normally require high schools diplomas, the best way would be to do chores or help out for a little bit of money. Save up christmas/birthday money.

Amanda1

3 Year Member
If you're hurting for money, you probably shouldn't get a reptile at all since you will also not have the money for a correct setup, food, and vet costs if they get sick.

Caleb C

Nice, any idea how many nymphs or adult pairs? And how much are you paying?
You probably only need around 5 adult pairs to breed, but they need both heat and humidity. Spraying once a week is fine, but they need heat or they won't breed. It's best to buy before summer, so they will breed by themselves for a couple months.

Caleb C

That's enough to breed, if you have heat, you're going to start seeing babies pop up within a month. I love dubias because you just randomly see babies pop up.
They're like 10x better than crickets.

Star1

I only had 1 male and 2 females to start (the other ones died really fast for some reason) then bought about 50 small-medium ones because I read they do better when they're more crowded. I've gotten babies already I opened it up one day and there were a bunch of super small ones.

Visit our friends