Giant Day Gecko Questions

jfenton954

I'm in the process of setting my live vivarium for two giant day geckos. It's 18x18x24 with a 150watt basking bulb, 150watt inferred night bulb, UVB, UVA bulbs. With moss on top of the soil. I have hydroton in the bottom of the soil. My questions are.. First when my mister monsoon 400 runs the hydroton fills up with water. Is that ok? Also how do you keep the humidity around 50-70% all day? Does it have to be all day? If so how do you prevent mold? Here's a pic ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393994878.281682.jpg

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
That's a beautiful setup!
Have you noticed any mold yet? The moss layer should prevent any mold on the substrate. Also, If I understand correctly it should be OK for the hydroton to get wet or be partially or fully submerged.

jfenton954

Thanks. I want it to be as real as possible. I do have a little mold on the bottom left part of the back ground. I already ordered springtails.

Amanda1

3 Year Member
I try to keep a layer of water at the bottom that covers the hydroton. Mold is pretty common in newly set up terrariums, but it will work itself out once you get your cleaner bugs in there. You can also go outside and turn over some rocks to find isopods (aka pillbugs or roly-polys) and millipedes. They'll help keep it clean in there too.

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Ooooh, I like the pillbug cleaner idea! Have you ever had them overpopulate though? That could be a problem...

Amanda1

3 Year Member
I've never noticed that there were too many. I would expect them to die off to a more manageable population if there were a food shortage. But with all the dead leaves, mold, and spilled gecko food there's always been plenty to eat for mine. I've never noticed many dead ones in the cage either, but like I said, they are very good cleaners...

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Such a great idea. I'm going to have to try it out. It's a more complete circle of life! I like that!

Visit our friends