Going to the bathroom in his hide.

Tialung

I have Tialungs tank with mostly ceramic tile and the end were he goes to the bathroom paper towel. He has been going on his paper towel since I got him. I was concerned because l began to notice in the mornings his paper was clean. I looked in his cool side hide and found days of poop. Yuck! So I cleaned it out and removed the hide. It is not easy to clean because of the material on the inside. I removed the hide then he started using the paper towels again. So I placed the hide back in but in a different area. He went in it again :( Is there anyway I can discourage him from doing this. This is his cool side hide and it wasn't cheap. He has 4 hides and he only uses one on the warm side his Petco 3 story hide. Here is a picture of the hide, It is an Exo Terra Reptile Den large. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002AR5C4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I would love any suggestions!!! Thanks!!! IMG_20150125_190406.jpg

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Interesting... can you place the hide somewhere without paper towels underneath it?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Get a cheap hide and put it where he like to poop. Maybe you can convince him to go in there. Some geckos do seem to like an "outhouse".

Aliza

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Hey at least you know exactly where to check, if you ever need to check, to see if he's pooping!

Tialung

lol I give up he won. He can have an outhouse if he wants. Maybe he like his privacy. :rolleyes:

Butiki

The Pacific Islander
Haha! One of my geckos used to do that as well. I tried placing a water dish on top of the hide to stop the vicious cycle only to discover a month later that he realized that the water dish was a way better pooping area lol

Butiki

The Pacific Islander
Yeah done that too. Cleaning only sanitizes the area. It may erase scent markers from male lizards but from my experience of keeping different species of geckos and other lizards, unless you rearrange or redecorate, there's no real way to stop them from pooping in a small specific spot

JoshuaW

I just got my leopard gecko tank setup and were getting the gecko tommorow and websites or advice on the food for a baby

JoshuaW

I put a video on youtube plz watch it check out my tank my name on youtube is Joshua GrapeJuice

Visit our friends