Good setup for my first Crestie??

Kristof

Hey guys! So I've put together a cage for a crested gecko I will be getting in a month or two. I decided to plant it now to let the plants settle in and stuff. I still need a few things (Cage lid, better light possibly, and a feeding ledge) but I wanted your guys feedback on my enclosure!

I am using a a 29 gallon (30 x 14 x 18)

Plants I used: 2x Bromeliads, 1 Ficus, 1 Wandering Jew.

Pics:
Photo Dec 28, 6 11 21 PM.jpg Photo Dec 28, 6 11 24 PM.jpg Photo Dec 28, 6 11 28 PM.jpg Photo Dec 28, 6 11 33 PM.jpg

Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks so much guys :)

JessJohnson87

It looks great! Maybe by the time you get the gecko, the plants will have grown some. I would add some vines towards the top of the tank for more coverage.

I would also add a insect cleaner crew to the tank, they will take care of poop and mold growth.

Kristof

It looks great! Maybe by the time you get the gecko, the plants will have grown some. I would add some vines towards the top of the tank for more coverage.

I would also add a insect cleaner crew to the tank, they will take care of poop and mold growth.

Thanks for your response :)

I was going to buy a springtail culture for the cage. Would that work?

Since then I re-arranged a little haha. Here's a pic of the updated cage!!

Photo Dec 31, 3 02 55 PM.jpg

Kristof

I have springtails, Isopods, earthworms and I threw a couple of pupating mealworms in mine. It still Looks great.

Will the crestie eat the earthworms? Also, could I use nightcrawlers? I have quite a few from my pacman frogs :p

Edit : I feel dumb didn't know earthworms were also called nightcrawlers :p

Last edited:

JessJohnson87

bahahahaha yeah they're called nightcrawlers. They usually stay burrowed in the soil, mine refuses to eat insects so I'm not worried about it. Haven't seen the rollie-pollies or mealworms since I threw them in there so I hope they're still alive :x

I went outside on a warmer day and collected my earthworms and isopods from my yard.

Kristof

bahahahaha yeah they're called nightcrawlers. They usually stay burrowed in the soil, mine refuses to eat insects so I'm not worried about it. Haven't seen the rollie-pollies or mealworms since I threw them in there so I hope they're still alive :x

I went outside on a warmer day and collected my earthworms and isopods from my yard.

I wish I could collect springtails. I live 7 miles from mexico so there aren't really any woods haha. Thanks for your help! Will definitely get some springtails + isopods into my vivarium soon :)

Another question i have, what light do you use for your viv? I just have a Compact Florescent bulb in right now.

JessJohnson87

New England Herpetoculture LLC - Live Bugs The springtails and isopods are towards the bottom of the page.

I have not seen any spring tails under the leaf litter in my yard but that's where I went hunting for the other two. Yeah I'm sure it's mostly dirt there lol.

I use a black light to help keep the temps up on the cooler days, I only have one live plant and it's a bird's nest fern than requires low light. Usually a compact florescent or they sell grow bulbs at like home depot and lowe's.

Visit our friends