Good starter reptile??

Corey515

For christmas my mom said I could get a leo is this a good choice for a beginner?? And is so could somebody please give me some starter tips?

tyler407

congrats on talking your mom into it I never could as a kid.

I'm no expert by anymeans however I've successfully owned 2 Leo's from babies well into adult hood before giving them a new home (military made it hard) I owned a crested gecko in this past year and had him for awhile before trading him in for a bearded dragon because the humidity aspect of crested geckos was difficult for me to keep up in my area haha. I also own a ball python.

Personally I think leopard geckos are easy to care for. They don't require that much room. There feeding is consistent and all they eat is bugs. And a belly heat source. No special lighting is necessary.

My recommendation to you is to make sure your setup is 100% correct before you even get the actual gecko. It will save you the stress and rushing around to get things right.

For one adult leopard gecko a 10 gallon will work but I've always used a 20 gallon long. They don't need height.

You will want a hot side and a cool side. The hot side around 90 and the cooler side around 80. At night it's okay to drop down to mid 70's.

They don't need special UVB light. But they do need belly heat. Under tank heater or UTH works great. It only needs to cover about 1/4 to 1/3 the bottom of the tank.

For substrate I recommend the repti carpet. 2 actually that way one is clean and ready to go when you have to wash the other one.

Leopard geckos need calcium. You can "dust" your crickets or meal worms with leopard gecko calcium powder.

I never really used crickets they stink and don't offer that much to the gecko. I use meal worms

tyler407

You will want hides as well obviously. One on hot one on cool and a moist hide for shedding occurs. And a water dish

Amanda1

3 Year Member
Please make sure you're ready for the commitment before you get a reptile. They live a long time. Leos live 20+ years. I see too many that end up homeless because the owner lost interest, went to college, etc.

tyler407

Please make sure you're ready for the commitment before you get a reptile. They live a long time. Leos live 20+ years. I see too many that end up homeless because the owner lost interest, went to college, etc.

Also very true! College is overrated :p just kidding kids go to school! And then when you're making money and your car breaks down call me so I can have some business as well haha.

laurahlove

And a large water dish big enough for them to fit in because some leos like to swim/soak :) but yes, a moist hide for shedding which you would have moss in and you will want to keep moist by misting at least once a day. youll also need a hydrometer to measure the humidity, which shouldnt go above 40%. :)

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Hi Corey and welcome to GT! Leos make really good beginner geckos! Have you decided on when you'll get one and what morph, if any, you'd like?

Visit our friends