Half tail loss???

Whitey

So I went into feed my girls tonight and noticed that one had lost half of her tail... I am EXTREMELY upset because she was going to be my hold back and had 50% carrot tail. All you can see now is the carrot tail. She did however shed today and is having a bit of an issue getting it all off, could that have stressed her out enough to make her drop half of her tail? She is 13 grams, SHTCTB. She is housed with a SS female that weighs in at 13 grams also. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Khrysty

It's more likely that she and that other female got into a fight than it is that the stress of shedding caused her to drop her tail. I'd separate them.

And if you plan on breeding her, she can still be a holdback. She will still produce offspring with a large amount of carrot tail.

Whitey

Yeah, that's true. I don't know, I feel like I let her/myself down. This was my very first holdback ever... she was/is gorgeous. I guess I just feel disappointed in myself. Pity party for me.... sniff sniff. I already have her separated. Thanks for the swift reply!

Whitey

Ok, I don't know what is happening now, but it looks as if she is having seizures or spouts of spazzing out... her back two legs are also not moving. It appears as if she is paralyzed from the back half down... I feel so bad for her...

JordanAng420

Oh man. That sounds like she has suffered some sort of trauma...has anything fallen on her or is there a chance she has been dropped?

Whitey

Oh man. That sounds like she has suffered some sort of trauma...has anything fallen on her or is there a chance she has been dropped?

Nope, I picked her up to weigh her but that's it, other than that she's been shedding. There is nothing in her tank that can fall on her. I read that last night after I posted this that it sounded like she's had some trauma, but nothing's happened to her.

Whitey

Nope, I always fed her large mealworms (not the super large mealworms that they put the growth hormone into and no, not Supers). I don't know, I had to put her down yesterday. I looked at her and it looked like both of her back "knee caps" were bleeding, which wasn't the case the day before. She was very lethargic. I could pick her up and flip her over and she would just lay there. I am thoroughly upset with myself about this.

viperidae

sorry for ur lost whitey, i got an albino raptor who is facing almost the same situation where the tail were biten by mouse and end up lost his tail.now he is super thin but the tail got no further infection. any advice here?
thanks

Visit our friends