handling tokay

T

tokay_kid

Is there a way to tame my 9 inch tokay gecko.If so how do i do it.the guy i ordered her from says she is wild caught.

S

sportbike_rob

i hear it is very very hard to tame tokays, im new to geckos so i cant really give you solid advise other than just keep doing your general maintenence/cleaning of your tank, and take little baby steps to slowly get him used to you over a period of a few months. i have also heard that it will have to do with the gecko's own personality too as to how tame it wil be. and if you just got him within a day or so, leave it alone for a while until he gets used and adapted to his new surroundings. thats the only advise i can give you, and that is coming from my experiance which is only with fat tails, so dont really quote me on this i may be wrong.

GeckoStud

Fatty Fatty Boomballaty
Good luck, you will need it. I'm not saying its impossible to tame a Tokay, but I am saying its improbable, especially for a wild caught too. Just my two cents, and seriously I hope you succeed, It would be cool to see a tame one.

dragonflyreptiles

Resident PITA
Your gonna get bit and that's just life, I never minded the bites too much and I did calm down a few WC's I got in a few years ago. I don't think you can take all of the wild out of them no matter you do so just be prepared to be bit a lot, its just the way they are.

ReptileMan27

Handling is the only way, I personally dont reccomend it. Their really more display animals, they dont do well with handling. I only handled mine when I had to and I hated doing that because it stresses them alot. Your best bet for getting a nice one, is to get a CB one.

X

xraverxbabyx

we have just resevered a cb06 male from the wizard lizard, the woman who has been caring for him says he is partly tame with her, and that we just have get him used to us... i can't wait... have always wanted a tokay but refused to get a wc one as we have other animals and didn't want to take such a chance with parasites, i know cb ones can have parasitic loads too, but less likely, and i dont like the idea of wc. but each to their own .

John N

JCN Reptiles
I have delt with tokays acouple years back and just got back into them. I've seen that the best ways to have a "tame" tokay is buying a young/baby and care it from there or if your lucky some how get your hands on a already timid one. CB and baby tokays in general, only open their mouth, but doesn't bite. CB is deffinally the way to go IMO.

Handling a already mad tokay often, I believe is the wrong way to do it. It will most deffinally stress out the lil booger. Plus, you WILL most likly get bit if you try to pick up a untimid tokay. I even got bit by mine, and he's the most timid tokay I have ever own. He actually took a large amount of flesh off and I was able to see small veins and my meat? It was my fault (like in most animal bittings) though, I was holding him after feeding.

Picture667.jpg

Picture666.jpg

ReptileMan27

tokay_kid said:
but does the bite hurt
They dont call them the pitbulls of the gecko world for nothing:main_thumbsup:. They have very strong jaw pressure and dont like to let go. I got bitten by my female awhile back when I had a pair and man it hurt. Im just glad it was her and not the male because the male was bigger and stronger then her.

dragonflyreptiles

Resident PITA
tokay_kid said:
but does the bite hurt

Well to me its not that bad, its more of a pressure bite but I handle pain really well as long as its not my back, knees or head lol

I guess it just depends on your pain level and what type of pain bothers you.

Cody my 7 year old was bit by one when he was about 4 and didn't even cry, he just said "Mommy the gray gecko is biting me, get it off". It left a nasty bite mark but it didn;t stop him from sticking his hands in to be bit again lol

ReptileMan27

dragonflyreptiles said:
Well to me its not that bad, its more of a pressure bite but I handle pain really well as long as its not my back, knees or head lol

I guess it just depends on your pain level and what type of pain bothers you.

Cody my 7 year old was bit by one when he was about 4 and didn't even cry, he just said "Mommy the gray gecko is biting me, get it off". It left a nasty bite mark but it didn;t stop him from sticking his hands in to be bit again lol
You must of had some small or weak tokays:main_laugh:. Mine ripped my poor hand right open :(. Mine were big though,12+ inches.

dragonflyreptiles

Resident PITA
well they were pretty big 12-14 inchers but I learned after the first bloody mess to not move after they clamp on and place tem on a surface and they will let go without ripping you apart if you don't move very much and do it very slowly.

I guess its not that bad of a bite to me because Ive been bit by quite a number of large dogs and to me a tokay bite is just not big a deal blood and all.

T

tokay_kid

wow.......interesting stories......i guess the bite must not be that bad.Mine is wild caught and was shipped from southeren asia.

ReptileMan27

tokay_kid said:
wow.......interesting stories......i guess the bite must not be that bad.Mine is wild caught and was shipped from southeren asia.
Most are wild caught ;), thats likely why they are normally so aggressive. But I love them to death anyway:D

Visit our friends