Handling

Jordan1

My gecko just started eating is it ok if i start getting a little bit closer to it now to get it use to me or should i wait awhile?

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
I would give him a little bit of time to let his food settle before handling him. Especially if he's still pretty skittish...
By this time he should be OK, since you posted this last night

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
This may sound kinda weird, but I like to put a finger in front of their face and kinda rub their chin, and have them lick me before I try to pick them up. Leos use scent and taste alot to comprehend their environment, and I think it helps them to be less afraid of me. They kinda of just relax and let me pick them up then.

Maybe I'm just odd, but hear my story. Several weeks ago I got the idea to start using a hand sanitizer in my reptile room. Soon after, my leos started to avoid me when I tried to pick them up. They would turn their heads away from my fingers and not lick me. Their behavior definitely changed. Then one night at dinner, I tasted my own fingers, and wow, that stuff is nasty. So I stopped using it, and my leos behavior went back to normal. Now I just stick to washing my hands!

Ruby

When I got my gecko, he was unaccustomed to handling, so at a pace I would stick my hand in his tank before finally being able to handle him, problem-free!

Visit our friends