Handling

maximusx6910

I have had a young juvenile for a week and a few days now, and i just started handling him, this being the third time. He is always extremely nervous and very stressed. I read that after a week you can start handling them, so i did. The first time he was very nervous and he walked around and i let him walk on my hands. I let him slowly walk on the bed and i made sure the room was quiet and no quick movements. I handled him for about 2 mins or say? and i put him back. The second time he acted about the same but this time i thought maybe if i showed him food he would possibly relax? Just to show him i wasn't a threat. (didnt really work) This time (the third time) he was very nervous and anxious when i picked him up. He leaped from my hand and jumped on the bed. (he wasn't hurt, and the jump was a foot high) he scurried,but i got him and immediatly put him back in his tank. and he ran as soon as he was in. I want him to be stress free. And (if i cant not forcing it) i want to be able handle him. What should my next steps be to this? or if i should just relax and not focus on handling him at all?

B

BioWorkZ

I understand the frustration. I've been handling my nervous geckos for awhile now...I only see slight improvement, and these are adults. I can only assume that they weren't handle much prior being purchased by me.

Redleg

The leo will calm down in due time. Just be careful as one's natural reaction would be to grab the leo as its running away......DO NOT GRAB THE TAIL :main_thumbsdown:

maximusx6910

The leo will calm down in due time. Just be careful as one's natural reaction would be to grab the leo as its running away......DO NOT GRAB THE TAIL :main_thumbsdown:

OH i know. I have had one single leopard gecko before, but she was VERY Calm and docile. But i recently added two more to my collection, and The female is relaxed, and the male is pretty well, you know : ) haha. But i am giving him sometime so he can settle down some more. And i will start handling him when he gets a little older. but thanks everyone!:)

GeckoGathering

GrizLaru
Training 101

OH i know. I have had one single leopard gecko before, but she was VERY Calm and docile. But i recently added two more to my collection, and The female is relaxed, and the male is pretty well, you know : ) haha. But i am giving him sometime so he can settle down some more. And i will start handling him when he gets a little older. but thanks everyone!:)

Max. Waiting is not the choice.
It only delays what you want to happen.
Go here for my "water board training"
(works quickly) to be buddies with a gecko.
Take Care. HJ

http://www.geckoforums.net/showthread.php?t=36375

jermh1

mine all started to chill at around 20g and by 35 they were all quite docile even the ones that were always freekin when small. I left them alone most of the time just because of a few bad jumps made me feel it wasnt worth them getting hurt, even when they seemed to chill they would randomly take off.

RyanJ

With my first gecko, I tried to be really slow about picking him up, but found that after awhile just picking them up usually forces them to get used to you. Plus, I've been lucky to have pretty mellow gecks as it is. My baby leo had to be handfed for a month, so it's used to being held (well, as much as she can be haha).

Visit our friends