Hatching or not?

Nikkivikki

I have a leopard gecko egg 54 days old. It was incubated at 81 for the first 30 days the went to 84. I did candle it and it is fertile. In the last few days it started having a wet appearance and the last 12 hours it started deflating. I think I see a baby inside but it has not cut itself out. Is it about to hatch? IMG_20140506_130424.jpg G]64857[/ATTACH]
Pic from 2weeks ago.
IMG_20140524_002745.jpg
Pic from last night. The egg in question has the blue mark on it.
IMG_20140525_114922.jpg
Pic from this morning.

Last edited:

tb144050

Oh MYYYY!!! That egg looked HUGE!! I would love to know the weight of it!! It appears to be 2x the size of other eggs..

Nikkivikki

It was and she was trying to hatch. But something happened when trying to get out and she died sometime overnight. And I don't know why?

tb144050

It was and she was trying to hatch. But something happened when trying to get out and she died sometime overnight. And I don't know why?

I am so sorry to hear that. :( I do not have alot of experience but that egg looked gigantic compared to others. I would have loved to have known its weight.

My amateur thoughts: With the large size of the egg, there may have been many possibilities. It might have developed incorrectly or incompletely during a "mutated growth"?....such as "lungs not being functional" at time of hatch...?? Did the hatchling already have its nose poking out of the shell? or was the hatchling completely out of the egg? or was the yolk absorbed before hatching out?

You might never know the exact cause, but answering some of these questions may help us "generalize" what likely happened, and it may help other users understand their situation in the future. :(

Visit our friends