Hatchling Details/Time

Desdemona

So, can someone give me an estimation of how much time you actually spend, daily, for a clut. Ie.. you only have 2 hatchlings you spend X amount of time.. but when your up to 20 you are spending XX amount of time.

Also, having read on their care... would leaving a new hatchling alone (rather in the incubator or the rack) for a almost 24 hour time period, cause them serious distress or death? Due to my current job I occasionally leave the house at 6 Am and dont' return till almost midnight. It's work related so not something I can just skip due to their being a new hatchling in the house. It seems like constant misting when they are young would make that kind of absense a bad thing. Also, what if one hatched early in the AM and was in teh incubator for that long? Would it kill them?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I have occasionally gone away for a weekend during baby season, moving the lay boxes to the warm side. I have never had a problem with hatches or eggs laid in that period of time. It's hard to estimate the amount of time per clutch. Think of it instead per enclosure. How long does it take you to clean out poop, change water, mist the humid hide and provide the food for an adult enclosure? Every additional enclosure will take that amount of time roughly. During breeding season I feed the adults every other day and the babies every day. After breeding season I feed the adults every 3rd day and the babies every 1-2 days (since they're getting bigger).

Aliza

Desdemona

Well, if I feed my adults less then it would take me less time. I started staggering their cage cleaning time (ie serious cleaning not just a little poop pickup) so that I have less time in one day devoted to them. Right now though, I don't spend massive amounts of time on them. My Dragon takes up more time than they do, since she eats/poops more often.

At least I know my job doesn't make it a "no-go." I wish I could just tell me Leo, "Ok, just lay 5 eggs, I can handle that no problem," hehe. (I have a obsessive since of curiosity that would make culling eggs very difficult for me).

Fencer04

Long Island Geckos
I have 5 adults and 3 hatchlings and I can say that it takes me about a half hour to 45 minutes for feeding and general maintenance per day. That includes hand feeding two of the babies that won't eat out of a bowl yet.

Full cleanings take about an hour and fifteen minutes.

Visit our friends