Hatchling feeding issues

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
I had a young diablo, and it was a pain in the butt to get it to start feeding.
It was eating 2-3 crickets a day, and now it refuses everything.
I had been tong feeding it, but over the passed two days ive been leaving food in its tub. None are missing.
Ideas?
Arent babies usually ravenous?

dlefik2008

Well, I'll give my experience when I had this problem before, but honestly, I wonder if it had something to do with tong feeding. I did that once before and found out, while it worked, it may be a mistake because I think they may expect to be fed that way all the time. My first ever hatchling, like a dummy, I fed mealies to with tongs. Well, when I quit doing that, it would never go out looking for food, waiting for me to bring it to it. It ended up going almost two weeks without going to the food bowl when I did put it in the enclosure. Since then, I do the usual 3 days for the first shed, then introduce the bowl of food on the fourth day and let it get out on it's own. Works every time. Some just take a little longer than others though to catch on. Survival of the fittest as they say I guess.

I can't say for crickets though as I don't use crickets really. This is all just a guess and was the first thing that popped into my head when mentioned tong feeding.

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
Its a diablo, I will not be playing survival of the fittest with this one.
I am attempting to tong feed it as well and its not interested.

Russellm0704

Its a diablo, I will not be playing survival of the fittest with this one.
I am attempting to tong feed it as well and its not interested.

Are you trying to get to the point that since it's a diablo you will give it more attention than a plain normal. My normals receive the same worries and husbandry that my bold strips and super snows receive. I know you didn't probably mean it this way but it is definitely how it came off sounding

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
No, I wasnt.
But when a gecko costs $250 dollars more, I think I will spend some extra time to make sure it thrives, NOT that I would neglect others.
Thats awful rude of you to assume that. I am offended. If you just want to pick a fight, please go elsewhere. I was looking for opinions on my hatchling.

And because you seem to care so much, its hunting fine now after some great advice from thorgecko.

Last edited:

im faster

Should Slow Down
im sure this one will be fine..
take a cricket ans squeeze the head until it pops.. some juices will leak out.. pull off the antennae (the annoy the geckos) rub the head/juices on the mouth it may take a min or so but he should eat. 3 times a day. he should be good in a ew weeks.

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
im sure this one will be fine..
take a cricket ans squeeze the head until it pops.. some juices will leak out.. pull off the antennae (the annoy the geckos) rub the head/juices on the mouth it may take a min or so but he should eat. 3 times a day. he should be good in a ew weeks.

Thanks Dennis, this is similar to what Thor recommended.
Ive been slicing heads off meal worms all day.

Russellm0704

No, I wasnt.
But when a gecko costs $250 dollars more, I think I will spend some extra time to make sure it thrives, NOT that I would neglect others.
Thats awful rude of you to assume that. I am offended. If you just want to pick a fight, please go elsewhere. I was looking for opinions on my hatchling.

And because you seem to care so much, its hunting fine now after some great advice from thorgecko.

In my opinion, a 20 dollar gecko deserves the same extra time as a 250 dollar gecko.

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
Thanks for your uneeded opinion.

I'm not sure why I'm even defending myself, as your comment was off topic and rude.
BUT
This diablo will play a key role in my breeding project. Yes it was very expensive. Would I let a "normal" gecko starve to death? No. Is this any of your business? No. Am I very concerned with its health? YES. If any of my geckos were to pass away I would be upset, this is the only one I would not be able to readily replace if such an accident would happen.

And just a little bit of info about me, I am a strict vegetarian. I treat all animals with respect and see them all as equals. Don't jump to conclusions based on a few words you read on a forum. Its RUDE.

Last edited:

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
Also, she ate 4 small supers last night :) Heads cut off.
Thanks for the great advice I received from Dennis and Morgan.

Russellm0704

Thanks for your uneeded opinion.

I'm not sure why I'm even defending myself, as your comment was off topic and rude.
BUT
This diablo will play a key role in my breeding project. Yes it was very expensive. Would I let a "normal" gecko starve to death? No. Is this any of your business? No. Am I very concerned with its health? YES. If any of my geckos were to pass away I would be upset, this is the only one I would not be able to readily replace if such an accident would happen.

And just a little bit of info about me, I am a strict vegetarian. I treat all animals with respect and see them all as equals. Don't jump to conclusions based on a few words you read on a forum. Its RUDE.

Your diet preference has no significance to what I said.

Ozy

WOW Russell! Why are you being so nasty to Katie? She didn't say squat about any of her other geckos, so why are you even bringing that up? I, for one, know that Katie takes awesome care of ALL of her animals. Survival of the fittest?!?! We are talking about CAPTIVE animals in OUR CARE, not wild animals. So why don't you drop the saintly attitude?

EDIT: Oh wait. Don't mind him Katie, he's from Georgia... *dies laughing*

Last edited:

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
Thanks Ozy.
No ones being nasty except for Russell. I think he just wants to pick a fight. Its annoying and uneeded. Ive asked him to leave but he won't listen. I might have to get an admit involve if it doesnt stop.

Russellm0704

I love Georgia. Still holds true southern values! And what you said did not sit right with me. I apologize if it offended you. Just dont want people thinking that members on geckoforums treat animals differently because they are "worth" more.

I'm glad your geckos are doing great and I'm glad someone was able to make a joke out of a state that they do not live in.

Russellm0704

Im glad the threat of an admin got you to apologize?

The threat had nothing to do with it. I've said nothing wrong here and my life would not be over just because I got banned from a forum. I love my geckos and love giving great advice on them. Just realized that if something i said really made someone make fun of my state then maybe I should diffuse the situation. And Oz: look up the Georgia Institute of Technology(Georgia Tech) the school where I study.

Not many dummies graduate from there.

Russellm0704

If you have any further problems with me you can pm me or take it up with an administrator. Was stating my opinion in a forum. Take Care

Visit our friends