Hatchling Guidance

Neon Aurora

So, for those of you who did not see my thread showing off my first baby, it was rather unexpected. So I wasn't entirely prepared. First, I read that you should offer food to a hatchling after it sheds for the first time 3-5 days after it hatches. Thing is, I have to admit that I don't know how long ago the baby hatched. I had been checking my eggs every few days because I was sure my oldest one was dead because it was incubated mostly at 86 degrees and passed day 65, so I just checked to make sure the younger eggs still looked good every few days. But when I opened the incubator yesterday, there it was. I really don't know how long it was in there before I found it. It could have hatched yesterday or a few days before. The yolk sack was absorbed, but I could still see the umbilical area where it gets absorbed. It seems to be doing well. It's active and I see it walking around its tub sometimes. It pooped, so I assumed it must have shed already and I offered it food (1/4 inch crickets) but it won't eat.

Since I'm not entirely sure how old it is, how do I know when to start worrying about it not eating? It seems fine and is acting like any leopard gecko (it screamed at me and everything, which I know is normal). This is my very first hatchling and I'm understandably anxious. I just don't really know how to deal with it. It's so small and delicate.

Is there something I need to do that I'm not doing? I'm keeping it like I would any leopard gecko. 90 degree warm area, humid hide, calcium dish, everything. I also have been lightly misting its tub because I read hatchlings need more humidity at first.

I know there is lots of hatchling info out there and several threads already, which I have read. I'm just anxious to get everything right and could use some advice.

Visit our friends