hatchling has deformed mouth

Star1

Hatchling #3 (I'm going by numbers for now) has a deformed mouth- it doesn't close all the way on one side and the "lips" over lap in front, and the very end of its tongue has a slight fork. It won't eat insects, but last Friday I got it to eat the mixture of pedialyte, crushed bugs, and vitamins. That is the only time it has eaten and is refusing food. I weighed it on Friday and it was 3 grams, its clutch mate was 9 grams. I got some advice to soak it in pedialyte and keep it in a deli cup in the incubator where it's hot and humid. Is there anything else I can do to get it to eat? I've tried live mealworms and baby dubia roaches.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Some hatchlings are slow to start to eat. If it turns out that the mouth deformity makes it impossible for it to eat solid food, it will not have a viable life. It's your choice as to whether you want to try to work with it --some geckos with deformities do improve as they grow-- or if you feel you should put it down.

Aliza

Star1

I have decided to put it down since it's unable to eat and I realized that 1 of the eyes doesn't open and the other looks cloudy.

Visit our friends