Hatchling Help

Thorgecko707

THORGECKO
So I have a dilema. I opened two eggs yesterday that had gone bad. One egg was full and looking good but had a deformed gecko dead inside. The other egg had dented three to four weeks ago but last night had a live perfect hatchling inside. Here is a short video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Wm--ra1Ik&sns=em

The problem is that the hatchling is nowhere near ready to come out. It is about the size of a dime if not smaller.
So my question is, do I:
1) leave the animal in the egg in the incubator to soak up the yolk?
2) take the egg out of the incubator but leave gecko in the egg?
3) take the gecko out of the egg?
4) cull?

Any experienced advice is appreciated.
Thanks.

30secondstobob

I'm not that experienced, but I probably would have culled right away as I would think the embryo has little if any chance to survive. Hate to do it but the egg would have went right into the freezer. Bob

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If you're not going to cull, I'd recommend leaving the gecko in the egg in the incubator. There are then several possible outcomes:
--it will leave the egg on its own, in which case you could put it in a humid environment with a smoothe substrate and see if it survives
--it will die in the egg
--it will stay in the egg, grow bigger and eventually leave on its own (not so likely).

Good luck.

Aliza

Thorgecko707

THORGECKO
If you're not going to cull, I'd recommend leaving the gecko in the egg in the incubator. There are then several possible outcomes:
--it will leave the egg on its own, in which case you could put it in a humid environment with a smoothe substrate and see if it survives
--it will die in the egg
--it will stay in the egg, grow bigger and eventually leave on its own (not so likely).

Good luck.

Aliza

Thanks Aliza. I was thinking the same thing. I have noticed it spins in the open egg but hasn't left yet. If it does survive it will be the smallest gecko I've ever seen. The tail is only 1/4"-1/2" long. So I assume the animal is 1"-1 1/2" if it developed proportionately.

Thorgecko707

THORGECKO
well it came out. but i doubt it will last until morning.

mack raptor
TG-12-2006-16-122.jpg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I had one hatch that size a few years ago. It lived for 3 days and was active but just too small to make it.

Aliza

Visit our friends