Hatchling problems...

fishyfan

I had a hatchling hatch out yesterday with something attached to his stomach. I decided to leave him in the incubator overnight in hopes it would fall off or be reabsorbed, but i woke up this morning and it is still there. It seems the dust from the perlite has gotten in his eyes too, so now he does not appear to be able to open his eyes. Ive laid down a damp paper towel in the egg bin to get him off of the perlite, but now im not sure what to do :(

baby8.jpg

baby7.jpg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
There are 2 possibilities about what is on his belly: it may be the umbilical cord --the part that connects the yolk sac to the gecko. In that case, your best bet is to take it off the perlite, put it in a plastic tub or on tile (I think paper towel could also stick to it). Gently remove any perlite that's on it. You could also try to gently rinse out the eyes. I had a gecko born with this about a month ago who is now fine and I actually just had one today born like that and I'm anticipating the same good outcome. I think the first one may have ended up with a little lump on the abdomen, but she is growing and thriving.

The only other possibility is that it has an umbilical hernia. If you see that there's a significant opening at the abdomen and you think that the stuff you see is the gecko's intestines, then there's really nothing you can do and it won't survive. This I think is relatively rare. It happened to me with one gecko about 2 years ago. If you aren't sure what it is, just proceed as if it's the first one and take care of it. The stump should fall off soon.

Aliza

fishyfan

thank you for your help

I'm going to move him to a bare plastic container (should i mist it once or twice to keep it moist for him?) in the incubator once he calms down from my attempted cleaning. I tried to clean him with some warm water and a q-tip but he would not allow it. I managed to wipe his eyes a few times but it does not look like it helped. One eye seems to have a white flap over it and the other eye remains closed.

fishyfan

He is in a plastic container with a small moist paper towel in the corner for a little moisture. The cord is still attached but just barely, but he doesn't seem to have much energy. Should i try making slurry to feed him?

Stomlin35

Gamer momma
I know this is a gecko and not a human...but... I thought I'd throw out there that after a baby is born, they have left over umbilical cord attached still. It drops off after about 2 weeks, but you're supposed to keep the area dry. So if it IS umbilical cord, I'd suggest keeping it dry.

But once again, it's a gecko not a human, so rules might be different.

ajveachster

I know this is a gecko and not a human...but... I thought I'd throw out there that after a baby is born, they have left over umbilical cord attached still. It drops off after about 2 weeks, but you're supposed to keep the area dry. So if it IS umbilical cord, I'd suggest keeping it dry.

But once again, it's a gecko not a human, so rules might be different.

Rules are different. Usually new hatchlings are kept in a more humid environment to help with absorbing the egg sack if it still has some on the outside, and to assist with the first shed.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
My gecko's cord had fallen off by this morning and she is doing well. I don't think you should try to feed her slurry yet; a normal baby that hatched when yours did wouldn't be eating yet. Keep the tub moist so she can at least absorb some moisture through her skin and hopefully lick up some drops. Keep her warm. Check starting tomorrow for poop or signs that she's shedding. She may have some deformities you can't see and not make it, but she also may just need some time to regroup and gain strength.

Aliza

Visit our friends