Hatchling Question - Thinking Ahead

30secondstobob

My eggs are 34 days old at 87 F, so due to hatch pretty soon. I know the babies won't eat for a couple of days, but should I leave them in the hatching container (in the incubator) or set up one of my small fish tanks right away? My incubator is of the home-made variety and the hatching container is pretty high in humidity as I have the eggs in long-fibered, spagnum moss. (I know, I know, I should have used something else, but that was all I had at the time and the eggs still look good.) Do the babies require high humidity, or should they be moved to an adult style set-up right away? Thanks in advance. Bob

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I usually take my babies out right away (I don't want them accidentally turning over other eggs) and put them in an adult type enclosure. At first I use only a hide and nothing else. I mist them several times a day. After shed I add a shallow water bowl, humid hide, calcium dish and small dish of mealworms. I wrote an article for Gecko Time a few years ago about hatchling care:
http://www.geckotime.com/care-and-feeding-of-gecko-hatchlings/

Aliza

30secondstobob

Thank you very much Aliza!! :) And the link to the article you wrote is exactly what I needed! Now all I need is for the eggs to actually hatch so I can put all this good info to use. ;) Thanks again. Bob

30secondstobob

Well, the eggs did hatch! I put the babies in a 5 gallon minature version of the adult tank. They are quite lively! Pictures are in general discussion under "Did Everything Wrong - Still Got Babies". ;) Bob

Visit our friends