Hatchling separation

Josh P.

Hello all,

I know that after the young geckos hatch inside the incubator we must move them to a nursery away from the parents. They can never be introduced to their parents terrarium as they grow? Will always need a separate terrarium of their own?

Thanks for the help and sorry about the completely newbie question.

Enigmatic_Reptiles

Quality is Everything
As adults or equivalent size there shouldn't be a problem. That being said every gecko has their likes and dislikes and there is no guarantee that the geckos will get along...no matter how much space is provided.

Josh P.

I read that we can't keep more than 1 male in each terrarium, but what if the hatchlings are males, we have to separate them?

rigomez4

Yes separate them. Many years ago, l worked with a girl that breed geckos and gave a pair of clutch mates to a coworker. They ended up being males. At 4 months of age one attacked the other so badly, it had to have one of its rear legs amputated. I would always keep males separated.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I incubate for female so this doesn't come up often. I would guess, though, that keeping male or m/f hatchlings together below, say, 20 grams, would be OK.

Aliza

Josh P.

Thanks for the replies.

Just an additional question, should a laying box be provided at all times or only when I see eggs developing in the female?

30secondstobob

What is the difference between a laying box and a humid hide? I always provide a humid hide and that is where my girl lays her eggs. I would provide the same hide for a male. Also, I have read of hatchling males that were raised together, coexisting together, as long as a female (or even the scent of a female) is never in the picture. Take this advice with a grain of salt as it is only hearsay. Bob

Dimidiata

Yeah I was wondering the same thing as Bob...

Maybe someone around can explain it for us. :)

In my opinion, its that you dont always use a good laying substrate in you humid hide(Pappertowel, sponge and so on). A lay box will also keep the eggs out of the way, that way the females not steping on them if she wants to go into the humid hide(this is all before you find the eggs. And then not everyone use humid hides that would work as lay boxes either :p.

Visit our friends