Hatchling won't eat!

DoubleAGeckos

May baby hatchling won't eat! He shed and this morning a found green poo but all the crickets were still there. I tried Hand feeding and it shows no interest.am I doing anything wrong?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
How old is it? Many of them start really slowly. Sometimes you just have to keep offering and eventually it will work out. Look for poop and when you find some,count your blessings, not the crickets.

Aliza

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's not unusual for them not to really eat at that age. Just keep offering and watch it grow. It will be fine.

Aliza

Pinky81

My favorite trick I learned here on the forums was to take a mealie and break its skin so its guts come out a little...then using Tongs hold the guts up to the Leo's mouth...let it lick the guts a little most hatchlings will chomp on the worm once they get a good couple of licks of the guts! Worked on even my toughest cases! But very few of my leo's actually ate before 7 days old. If the lil guy shed then remember he has a belly full of shed skin! Don't panic just yet!

nater

May baby hatchling won't eat! He shed and this morning a found green poo but all the crickets were still there. I tried Hand feeding and it shows no interest.am I doing anything wrong?
They typically won't eat for the first 3 days to a week after hatching.

Next question for when they do start eating is what size crickets are you trying to feed it?

Also, as noted by fl_orchidslave, its unwise to leave uneaten crickets in with your gecko. It *can* be done under the right circumstances, but its just easier to only put in what it'll eat. Just buy a cheap critter carrier and put some egg crate material inside and house your gecko's leftovers in there.

Last edited:

Visit our friends