hatchlings developing MBD??

Reborn

Please only experienced keepers!!! I had a great season last year. Not a single baby had any issues... but this season ive had 5 from the same pairing develop MBD. I dust with and without D3 as i normally have. Last season this pairing didnt have any issues with off spring. All babies this season have been large babies but slow growers.
1) could it be the pairing?
or

2)we rescently moved. Im wondering if maybe its from the water? its town water now and i have debated on using bottled or water from my old place.

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
Were they diagnosed by a vet with MBD? What are their symptoms?
Sorry to hear about the bad news :(

TranceZ

Sorry to hear...

What brand of supplements are you using? How much did the females weigh before breeding? Do you always leave a small cap of calcium in the egg laying females tub during and off breeding season?

Sounds strange if you're doing everything right... I'd probably retire this pair from breeding though.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Are all of the babies with problems from the same pairing? Did you change your supplement protocol or product since last season? In all honesty, sometimes I believe that leopard geckos can exhibit calcium absorption issues even right after hatching. Calcium absorption is a function of the parathyroid gland, and thyriod issues can affect most living creatures. MBD seen at very early ages could be caused by many things, and if it's not environmental it certainly could be a congenital issue... either during embryo development or passed from the mother during egg gestation. I do not believe it is common for it to be a genetic problem.

I have direct experience with babies and MBD as a result of extreme temperatures (temp. controller malfunction)... so check your surface temperatures where the babies are housed. If it's over 98-100 degrees F, then these temperatures cause the parathyroid gland to go into overdrive and literally leech all the blood calcium causing the bones to become soft.

Personally, I don't believe that the particular product used is the direct culprit, but I have also had problems if I changed product lines. After careful research, I found that issues of this type can be a result of how a new/different formulation is metabolized. If supplement products are changed, they should be mixed 50% with the original one and gradually introduced to 100% over time.

Your best option other than a visit to a veterinarian would be to supplement Calcium with VitD, which helps in metabolizing Calcium more efficiently. Depending on the severity of the MBD in the babies I recommend a few drops of liquid calcium (NeoCalglucon or similar) 2X a day right on the baby's nose/lips to lick off. Liquid calcium should never be forced into the gecko's mouth, as it is quite viscous and reptiles can aspirate on it and die. Repashy Super Foods has a powdered version that is mixed with water as needed... I believe it it called Rescue-Cal Plus. I haven't tried it, but have heard some miraculous stories about it's benefits.

Reborn

the other off spring from the male havent had any signs. yes calcium is in with all breeders and hatchling and dusted food is provided year round. I use zoo med. pure without D3 calcium then reptivite and some d3 calcium mixed together.

katie_ no not to a vet. Seen it enough in my years to know what the early signs are. None have developed it to the point of crippling. Just limbs going inproperly. Most breeder know right away when things are going wrong. I can see some swelling in ones joints that hasnt shown any other signs thats being watched.

the female for sure is retiring. She had many good eggs these last 2 seasons(shes only about 2-3).

All my females weigh over 65 grams proir to breeding. The mother was enigma so i had her at 75 before hand.I like to keep my enigmas as fat as possible.

Reborn

last season none of the offspring from this pairing had issues. this season all have so far. Supplement isnt different, feeding isnt, the only things different is water supply changing, and the female had dropped her tail earlier in the season tho i dont think its a big deal as it has regrown well.

surface temp is 90-93F depending on top or bottom of the rack. ive triple checked now. I thought it was the temps being off so they werent eating but they all eat a good amount for hatchling..

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Alissa, you may never know the reason for this. If nothing else is different, then perhaps you could question the water. I've had issues come on and disappear just as fast without ever really know why it was happening. It's so frustrating and worrisome. Try giving them filtered or bottled water and see is anything changes.

Visit our friends