Hatchlings + Juveniles

Josh P.

Hello,

Did anyone ever successfully kept together 2 newborn hatchlings with the 2 from the previous clutch?

I'm asking since I know a breeder that tells me he keeps them together as long as there are no big differences in size, so as long as they only have a 25% difference in size he successfully keeps them together until 3 or 4 months.

Does anyone have experience with this method?

RampantReptiles

I do not recommend this. For the sake of the hatchlings health they may be stressed out and to reduce the risk of lost tails/injury I try to reduce the number of hatchlings kept together.
I have hatchlings that have to be kept solo because they won't eat when kept in pairs...

TranceZ

I agree^^^

I'll usually only keep clutch mates together until they are around 20g. If one isn't growing significantly as fast his/her clutch mate then they get separated to insure both are getting equal amount of food without being stressed.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Someone asked this recently but I can't find the post. The biggest problem besides size is appetite. Newly hatched geckos are just learning to eat and getting started. Established hatchlings are eating and hungry. While I do mix and match established hatchlings of different ages due to size, I would not house newly hatched with established hatchlings. One season I had 2 newly hatched geckos in a partitioned tank with 2 established hatchlings (2 weeks old) on the other side of the partition. One of the older geckos managed to get through the partition and took both tails off (looked like really cool worms, I guess).

Aliza

Josh P.

Thanks for the replies.

Sad story, Aliza. Thank you for sharing your experience. Always appreciated.

Visit our friends