Head Lice Ugh

techgirl

Yep. 1 week before school is officially over and I get a call last night from a friend whose 2 girls are in my daughter's pre-k class to make me aware that they just found head lice on their girls. So far my daughter is clean but I am still going through the process of washing all her stuffed toys(why did we get her so many??) and bedding and all that jazz. We will still treat her as a preventative as well as us since we play with all the kids. Anyone else go through this? It just seems more of an annoyance than anything. I wash everything weekly due to my allergies and asthma anyway so I hope our chances are low of her actually contracting it, but you never know.

snakegirl

i have had head lice so many freaking times (because i babysit little kids and lice just love my darn hair!) it got so bad the shampoo didn't even work for me anymore!! i used classic Mayo! yup the stuff you put on sandwiches...it work every time because the lice cant breath...put that all over my hair with a very stylish hair cap. and then go clean the house for 3 hours after i was done i wash my hair (mayo is good for hair anyway so its soft) and bush..Ta da no more lice!

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
Jessica, I have my fingers and toes crossed for you! We had an outbreak at one of the schools I work at this year, it had been a while. My head was itching like crazy even though a got through it unscathed. They're just such a nightmare.

A

Alliemac

Rather than treat her before she has nits you can take some preventative measures. Lice hate dirty hair so skipping the hair wash for a couple of days or spraying her with hair spray will deter them. Also, we use tea tree oil shampoo during lice season because they detest the smell. It's worked for us for the past 4 years to keep lice out of the house. My girls used to get them badly and it would take forever to get them out of the house.

A

Alliemac

Also, washing stuff animals won't help unless you are drying them in a hot dryer for at least 30 minutes. Nits can live through washing but are killed by heat. Alternatively you can bag the stuffies in doubled garbage bags for 2-3 weeks and that will sufficient any nits on them.

Riyo

Pet Human
When I got lice in high school this is what I did. I used straight tea tree oil mixed with some sort of oil like olive or canola. Saturate your hair with it and be careful not to get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth then tightly wrap your hair in a towel. The lice will be killed by the tea tree oil and suffocated by the vegetable oil (mayo works well too as stated).

Good luck. Lice are evil. :(

techgirl

I am drying everything washed in the dryer for an hour. The school inspected everyone in the class and she was clean. So I'm just going to watch her right now and wash her bedding. Vacuuming always is done every few days. So I'm not too concerned.

LeapinLizards

It's a BEAUT Clark!
Man I remember getting lice in elementary school like 2 or 3 times. It got to the point where they were checking us at school at least once a month. I really hope you guys get through lice-free! It's a horrible thing to deal with.

VampyricAngelX

I've had it twice when I was little and it's horrible. Definitely something I never want to experience again & hopefully you won't have to deal with it either.

Visit our friends