Head tilt problem

Christine

3 Year Member
I have a Steno that seems to hae developed a head tilt! She is still eating and able to get around fine. She doesn't have any signs of any injury at all. I dont know what this is. If I take her out shee will tend to go in a circle. I'm thinking its neurological, but wondered if anyone else ever encountered this or anything like it?

Rylee

3 Year Member
Well I don't know in this species, but I know in leopard geckos, an Enigma will have those symptoms.

Gopherhockey03

Sounds weird!!! But as long as she is healthy all is good! Hopefully someone can chime in who knows whats up

Apocalypse910

3 Year Member
What you describing sounds like a mild form of stargazing which is a neurological / balance problem with a few potential causes including genetics, injury, toxins, temp, and infection.

You should check your temps, rule out the introduction of any toxins into the home, and get her to the vet for blood testing to determine the cause. Over-supplementation is another possibility, for example unrestricted access to calcium with D3 could possibly result in an OD and lead to neurological symptoms.

http://www.petmd.com/reptile/conditions/neurological/c_rp_stargazing_syndrome#.TzffEvKZK28

Christine

3 Year Member
I do know about that issue. I'm a vet tech. I've already ruled out any toxins temp issues, genetics,( I keep specific breeding charts), and oversupplementation as I only dust crickets every other feeding. As far as the infection, blood work isn't possible with one of these guys. They max in size at 3 1/2 to 4 inches so not much blood to begin with. My best guess is some sort of closed head injury during mating season. She is eating and everything else is fine. I am meticulous about my care, so I think I will take the wait and see approach. I wish more was known about the species! I seem to be the go-to person about them in the first place ironically enough! Thanks for everyone''s input!

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Hope she ends up okay! Be sure to keep us updated on how things turn out, Christine!

Christine

3 Year Member
My girl with the head tilt went through a shed last week. As of today she has no more of the head tilt problem! I'm wondering if it could've been inner ear related.I'm just glad it resloved itself! She's doing fine now. No tilt and walking straight!

Visit our friends