Health Issues - Opinions Please

Fatal_S

Mel's Exotics
Two of my fatties aren't as healthy as I'd like. I will take both to the vet this week, but would appreciate any thoughts and opinions here.

First is the newest fattie, Draak, from a pet store. He's a big boy and looks fairly healthy, just shed, but will not eat. He's mouthed food a couple times, but it appears to cause him discomfort. He also has a small injury on the side of his mouth that appears to be healing. He won't open up for me to look inside. I've had him 2 weeks, and he pooped once, but has not eaten anything here. My thought would be mouth rot, but do these symptoms match anything else?
Image053.jpg

Image052.jpg

Image055.jpg

Image050.jpg

Second is a smaller adult female, no name, who I picked up from a friend in September. He mouth appears to be a bit odd to me, and she sneezes, but the scariest part is her neck swells up. Not sure if it just seems huge because she's tiny, but she looks like a frog sometimes. She's an excellent hunter and loves eating, so I haven't been terribly worried. But saw her with a really puffy neck today when feeding and decided enough was enough, vet time. She's seen a vet once before for the sneezing, had some baytril, nothing really changed. Will be going to a different vet this time. Any idea what these symptoms, especially the swelling neck, mean?
Image025-1.jpg

Image021-1.jpg

Image022-2.jpg

Image023-1.jpg

Image026-1.jpg

Image027-1.jpg

Thank you in advance. I will consider all opinions, and update once I've seen the vet. She was super great with my leo, so I have high hopes :)

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Can't really be too helpful. I have had AFT's with mouth sores and treated with antibiotics after a vet visit. He healed up fine and is now very healthy. I had a leopard gecko once that looked as if it had mumps. I don't know why its neck was so swollen. It was a hatchling and ultimately its whole body got full of fluid and it passed away. I'm not saying that's going to happen with your AFT, this was just my hatchling. Besides the health problems, it's not unusual for some geckos to go off feed in the winter.

Aliza

Fatal_S

Mel's Exotics
I have an appointment Wednesday with the same vet who did an awesome job with my leo. Looking forward to seeing her. Not so looking forward to spending my x-mas money, but want these two to be super healthy :)

jemjdragon

Can reptiles get allergies? Because that is what it sounds like your female has (sneezing and throat swelling). Of course I am comparing your gecko's symptoms with the symptoms people have when they have allergies. Maybe you should ask during your appointment. I hope every thing goes well at the vets.

cassicat4

For your male, I was thinking mouthrot as well when you mentioned the symptoms. Could it be due to an insect bite that became infected?

For your female, possibly an RI? Or Pneumonia? It just sounds respiratory-related to me, but in all honesty, I have never heard or seen of this before in Fatties so this is just a guess. I had a water dragon with an RI and she spent a lot of time with a puffed up throat as a result. Often that was followed by sneezing or coughing up mucus. Very strange indeed, and yes, please keep us updated!

Fatal_S

Mel's Exotics
Draak ate a pinkie mouse :) I'd offered it since I'd made extra (skink-treat), but he didn't seem interested. Since he's in QT I couldn't give it to anyone else, so I left it for him. Checked now and it's gone :D Very happy for him. He'll still see the vet of course, but I'm feeling a bit more hopeful.

And thank you for the suggestions. I will bring it all up with the vet. The female gecko did have baytril before since we thought she could have an RI (the sneezing), but nothing changed. Hopefully this time I'll get a better result. Will update after the appointment.

Fatal_S

Mel's Exotics
Saw the vet. Draak appears to be quite healthy. Still need a fecal test on him, just waiting for him to oblige. The lip appears to be an injury, but it's healing itself. Inside his mouth looks good. So I'm waiting for poop, hoping he keeps eating, and keeping an eye on the injury. All good.

The little girl on the other hand is in rough shape. There's definitely an infection in her mouth, and possibly a RI too. She would not open her mouth come heck-or-high-water. When we first got to the vet she was limp and it was really scary. She perked up over the hour and half we were there, back to her normal self. She got an antibiotic injection, and I have oral antibiotics for her. We're also waiting for a fecal for her too - she eats well but doesn't gain weight. She did poop on the way to the vet, which should have been great, but it was completely dried and made up of exoskeleton - nothing that could be tested. She also prolapsed slightly (it went back in by the end of the visit). So it appears she's also not been drinking, and is not digesting her food properly. She's home now, and tired/sore, but she's still active and bright-eyed when I walk into the room, so I have high hopes. Meds, water, food and fecal for her.

cassicat4

Glad to hear your male is doing well, but I'm sorry about your female. :(

But, she sounds like a fighter so that will make the difference in how well she does. I have hope for her as well!

Visit our friends