Heating Rocks ok?

meg1111

Hi

I just want to check the temperature in the tank is ok and set up properly.

I have a heating pad which I put in the tank with some tiles over . The temperature is between 75 to 81

At the night, I have a blue heat night lamp I put on for them. It gets to about 83 to 88.

Its all set on time switch to go on automatically. The room is warm and I have a blanket over the tank.

does that sound ok? if not, how do change it accordingly?

I also bought them a heating rock but found online that it can burn them.... is that true? or is there anyway I can find a container to cover it so they can sit on that without burning themselves?

thank you

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. You're right, heating rocks are a bad idea and can burn the gecko. I'm going to assume you're talking about a leopard gecko. If not, please let me know because the care will be different. Generally the under tank heaters are designed to go on the underside of the tank, not in the tank. The temperature on the floor (not in the air) should be in the low 90's. You will need a digital thermometer with a probe that is put on the floor on the hot side. These are available in the reptile section of a lot of pet stores for under $10.

Aliza

meg1111

Perfect thank you :) I find when i put them under the tank, it doesnt come through and heat the bottom of the tank nicely though... is it ok if i leave it or should i change it around?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
As long as the floor temps are correct and the gecko can't hurt itself on the heating pad, you should be fine, if a bit out of the ordinary in pad placement.

Aliza

Visit our friends